Can I use my Total Pond Universal Pond pump without harming Bullfrog tadpole and froglets?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello all I’m a novice so please be gentle.

I live in Southern California and there has been an outbreak of West Nile virus (again).
We have a fountain with agitating water and a pond without agitating water but oxygenating plants. I use a safe for wildlife water treatment once a week when I “top off” with fresh water.

My main question/concern: with the threat of West Nile I would love to sleep easier knowing that those pesky mosquitos can’t use the pond as a breeding ground by using my Total Pond Universal Pump Filter https://www.homedepot.com/p/Total-Pond-Universal-Pump-Filter-Box-MF13010/202278958 again. I took it out initially because I didn’t want it to eat the bullfrog tadpoles. Am I being too paranoid thinking the tadpoles and baby bullfrogs will get sucked into the filter? If that is a possibility is there a way to keep mosquitos out that won’t hurt my tadpoles and bullfrogs?

Thank you so so so much for your help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The way the filter pads are designed on that one, it blocks the top. So worse cases it may pull one on to the top but not into it. Your good to go in my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you so much for your response, I felt silly coddling the creatures (I mean survival of the fittest right)? But I didn’t want their habitat to be turned into a hazard

Thank you for your prompt reply!

Ask a Question