Can you rebuild waterfall after foaming

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
If you use waterfall foam to build your falls, can you tear it apart and make changes or is it once and done?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You can pull it a part and redo the foam again, not a big deal just need to throw away the old foam.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Absolutely. We just did this a few weeks ago on a few spots on our waterfall. Over time you may find things settling and water going where you don't want it to go. Easy to pull apart, pull the old foam off and re-do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Can you use the foam if the area is still wet? I need to fix my waterfall temporarily until I get other parts of pond done that may take all summer. I am making fake rocks to cover things and last one will be the waterfall box and recognize I will need to take out what I do now. I really would like to get the water going over the rocks instead of under them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The stuff I am familiar with requires all surfaces to be completely dry but you might read the label on your foam and see what it says. Is it a really large area? If just a small patch, you can use Bob Smith Insta-cure coral frag glue. Most hobby shops carry it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I was hoping I could turn the waterfall off for a little bit, pull all the rocks out, maybe towel dry rocks and liner then put a line of foam on the liner, put the first row of rocks down and then repeat until all the rocks are back in place. Wait a bit for foam to harden and turn waterfall back on before bacteria die. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have no experience applying foam and not waiting for it to completely cure. After applying the foam, perhaps you can cover the falls with wet towels or gently mist the falls? Might work. Here is a product I have not used but it seems like it might work. They sort of imply that it can be used in wet environments by saying wait 5 min before running water. Hum, not sure but interesting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@MajorDan - waterfall foam is not designed to adhere rocks to liner, or liner to rocks for that matter. You should be using waterfall foam only in areas where you want to redirect the water to go over the rocks instead of under or behind. So build your waterfall and then fill the gaps and crevices between the rocks with foam. When it has just started to harden, you can mold it a bit to the contour of the rocks or stick gravel or sand to it to make it disappear in the construction. Your surfaces should be dry when you use it.

Don't worry so much about the bacteria dying. Your pond is teeming with good bacteria. The filter will quickly be repopulated with good bacteria if it does take you a bit of time to finish the work. It's more important that you get the waterfall right so you don't have to do it again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would use M1 adhesive to set your water fall rocks to the rubber. It is very tough stuff and will not hurt the fish . Then use your foam to build the rest. OR place some fabric down on the rubber and mortar the whole thing but you will need to let it dry for several hours. a simple sprinkling of water over a bio load area will keep it primarily alive

Ask a Question