Can you suspend water lilies in floating "containers?"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, found out that 1-1/2" PVC won't hold up my potted lilies...... Made 2 "rings," using 45 degree angles so they were octagonal instead of square. Had such high hopes, but neither one of the lilies "floated." Back to the drawing board! Guess some time in the future I'll try using 2" PVC.

I did make a PVC plant shelf that turned out OK. Not perfect, but OK. It sits down a little deeper than what I wanted, but something I can fix.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now that I'm home, decided to focus on these lily rings. Pulled them out yesterday and they were both filled with water. So used some PVC cement and got them nice & tight. Had to experiment, but did end up getting one to work using some pool noodle peices. Only had time to get one done yesterday, so will see how the other one does.

To fasten the planter to the rings, I used some VELCRO strips that they sell for gardens: green & comes in a roll (not sure how long it is, but got 8 strips off the roll, and there's more on there). I sliced 4 holes (NSEW) just below the planter lip and slipped/threaded a piece of the VELCRO (I think I made each piece about 32" or 36" long) through each slit. I looped the VELCRO over the "ring" and attached it to itself. It holds very securely. Was thinking that this makes the depth somewhat flexible and will be good for in the spring when the lilies need to start out in shallower water -- just adjust the length of the VELCRO strap as needed.

No koi, and my goldies don't seem interested in the plants, so just suspended the planter w/out using a netting.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like that will work and be quite helpful w/ the being able to raise and lower it. Where's the photo's of it in action?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, guess I need to take some pics! Spent this afternoon with the fishies, fixing the planters and general clean-up chores ( truth be known, was having a BLAST being in the water, talking to "everyone," and giggling with the fish-kisses & nibbles :) ).

Ended up having to slightly weight the lily rings/planters to keep the rings just under the water. There is an art to that, but think I got them taken care of. 'Course the colored noodles are obvious, but that's a job for next year!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not very pretty, but functional. In top photo, can see one of the "velcro" strips holding planter to ring [red circled]. Color-coded: yellow for yellow blooms, pink for pink blooms. The pink one has really lagged behind, but wondering if that was partially due to being too deep in the water [was deeper than the other one]. Since putting them in the rings, "pinkie" has grown about 3 new leaves and seems much happier. For some reason, though, both pots/rings have sunk a few inches deeper over past several days. PVC pipe is sealed, so not sure why unless water has gotten between the PVC and foam???? Both are still at good level, though, and I like where they are [depth], and are still "floating." These 2 are hardies, and both have recently been repotted & fertilized.

In lower photo, can almost see the leaves of my tropical lily in upper left corner.

Attachments

• PLANTER RINGS 2012.jpg
    PLANTER RINGS 2012.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 276

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like they are doing their jobs and when the pads fill out it will cover up those rings better.

Ask a Question