Capturing water / grey water processing

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I still haven't set up my pond - I'm still in the process of thinking about my garden/pond design - but I'm quite keen on the idea of having the pond at the end of a greywater processing system. With a long, gentle reed bed and a careful selection of household products, I think this should be doable. Does anyone here have experience or ideas as to what works and what doesn't?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Ivar. Interesting idea! About 20-years ago I was asked to do a feature about 'The Living Machine' which might give you a starting point. I visited two locations, Kansas City and Corkscrew Swamp in Florida for the story. Both locations had thriving Living Machines that were simply amazing. I seem to recall, they were processing all waste water (no solids) but in your case, I assume you are only talking about greywater from your sinks and perhaps washing machine. Please let us know if you decide to do this project. Check out this link and see if it helps: Living Machine | Audubon Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ivar, I forgot to ask above but you are talking about a pond with no fish right?

I'm not sure yet. Ideally I'd like to grow aquatic food plants (research still ongoing) and I think fish would be beneficial for the ecosystem, so it would be important to ensure any water that makes it to the pond is clean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
With fish, products would be even more limited. However, it’s up to you on how much you want it to be filtered prior to entering the pond. I’d be very interested to see your progress, so please, share as you build!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whoa. I didn't understand from your posts that you are interested in greywater aquaculture of food for human consumption. I thought the greywater water was going to be used to water your garden flowers and ornamentals. I think you should consult a professional for this project. Perhaps a nearby university can provide assistance.

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm not sure yet. Ideally I'd like to grow aquatic food plants (research still ongoing) and I think fish would be beneficial for the ecosystem, so it would be important to ensure any water that makes it to the pond is clean.
I still haven't set up my pond - I'm still in the process of thinking about my garden/pond design - but I'm quite keen on the idea of having the pond at the end of a greywater processing system. With a long, gentle reed bed and a careful selection of household products, I think this should be doable. Does anyone here have experience or ideas as to what works and what doesn't?
that is interesting. i capture the rain water off my house to feed my storm water pond. please post your results.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree @Doctor mcboy grabbing water from the roof for the pond is one thing . Some say no way you have asphalt leaching into the water. i have done a ton of roofing i say popycock. How ever dish water , laundry water, the only way I'd allow it for FISH would be to double bog it out of one bog to an other and even then i don't see it worth the risk. As far as gardening nope. it's proven many plants can an do absorb toxins. Hell years ago i chopped down a tree stump that someone had taken a tree down years earlier had not died it had two shoots coming out of the tree stump that were 16 foot tall trees out of a 36" round stump. I chopped it down below grade and that night i went to take the dogs out and said holly cow" ok it wasn't cow" Look at all the fire flies, hey wait they're not blinking........ It was the wood chips that were glowing and i don't mean just a little and no i wasn't drinking i actually brought a chip to my neighbor just to make sure it wasn't a flash back . and nope he agreed . Well long story short I brought it to a lab and they called me a week later saying it was just phosphorous . The tree roots system was so large and the actual tree shoots were so small for the size of the roots its all the food the roots absorbed . so ah no I'd not eat waste water until it was treated real well

Ask a Question