Cardenas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the thread bullfrog. Got me thinking. Once all the kids are moved out and my folks......
maby well move down there. Getting really sick of the wet cold weather we get up here.

Reaction score
Save your money, sell the house and come on down. It's really cheap to live here and safe, don't believe the media.

This is on record as the largest tree on earth, over 2.000 years old and still growing.

DSCF3479_zps4fad0a8a.jpg

DSCF3476_zpsc14f26ff.jpg

See the elephant?

DSCF3480_zpsc85cac05.jpg

I thought you might like the landscaping..

DSCF3500_zps9df48cab.jpg

DSCF3498_zps178a9308.jpg

DSCF3507_zps5764de6a.jpg

DSCF3497_zps75a74505.jpg

DSCF3496_zps5220290d.jpg

DSCF3493_zpsc0a0a25b.jpg

DSCF3495_zps7fb75241.jpg

Reaction score
We were touring the mescal distillery, so she is a just a tad toasty, laughing so hard she can barely talk. But JW wanted to hear what a French/Mexican accent sounds like.

Reaction score
We toured the mescal distillery, it was interesting and fun.

DSCF3553_zpsa5f78f42.jpg

First they show you the varieties of agave.

DSCF3516_zps6cf36034.jpg

The "pineapple" or fruit of the agave is roasted in a large pit for a week on hot river stones.

DSCF3517_zps203cde54.jpg

The roasted fruit now has it's sugar crystallized and is ready for crushing.

DSCF3521_zps63ba8d12.jpg

It then goes to the crusher, a horse pulls the large stone around as they rake the fruit under the wheel.

DSCF3518_zps42b61e33.jpg

Here is where they tether the horse.

DSCF3520_zps5a08f206.jpg

The fruit is then stripped into pieces and goes through further crushing. At this stage, it has a consistency like sugar cane and has a unique sweet, smoky flavor.

DSCF3522_zps34eae29d.jpg

The fermentation process begins converting the sugar into alcohol.

DSCF3527_zps7fbd6931.jpg

It is strained. Then it goes into the still.

DSCF3523_zps0d86cf1e.jpg

Finally, the potent mescal trickles out of the still. It takes 9 years and one month from seed to the bottle.

DSCF3528_zps7510c6d4.jpg

You can buy the raw mescal like this, or the better aged in wooden barrels product. You chew the spicy crickets to wake up your taste buds, get an orange slice dipped in Tejon spice. Do the shot, bite into the orange and eat more bugs or a worm.

DSCF3531_zps6706aeda.jpg

Extra worms are available, they are crunchy and salty.

DSCF3539_zpse591b96c.jpg

After sampling it all, this is what we bought. The "Coyote" label on the right has hallucinogenic properties so of course, that is the one I chose.

DSCF3551_zps245dce0b.jpg

We also got a bottle of the finest aged 4 years for our friend Dante back in Cordoba who found us the land.

DSCF3552_zpse9051979.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How come whenever we go to another country it is an insult to not do what they want us to do but when they come here they do whatever they want and want to change our ways? I'm not eating any bugs or worms for anyone,not even for a million bucks on Survivor :yuck:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That was cute Gloria doing her Mexi-French accent. I enjoy watching you eat the bugs but not me, no way!
The little grand-daughter ate them too................oh my they are used to it tho. She is darling :)
You guys are just having too much fun :D

Reaction score
How come whenever we go to another country it is an insult to not do what they want us to do but when they come here they do whatever they want and want to change our ways? I'm not eating any bugs or worms for anyone,not even for a million bucks on Survivor :yuck:

It was the way it was put to me, politely. Juan Carlos saw me looking at my plate of crickets. I looked up at him and he smiled, "It is a tradition." I couldn't very well pass and look like a wuss when a four year old girl was eating them and really, they and the worm weren't bad. Not something I'd wake up and make a sandwich out of, but not bad. Tomorrow we leave back to Playa Del Carmen, mission accomplished. We found our new home in the mountains and I met my new family. God be with us.

Reaction score
Wish I had my camera with me. We went to eat and I saw a crosswalk sign. In America it has a green or red figure. Here in Mexico it has an animated figure of a man running with a countdown clock...3...2...1. No kidding, these are the most laid back people in the world until they get behind the wheel.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I understand Bullfrog but wonder if they would be upset if a lady turned them down on the bug feed? I just couldn't do it but I see why a man would have to show his machoness in front of the family he is entering. They prolly expect to be turned down from tourist ladies just visiting.

Funny on the running man crosswalk. Whoa to the slow moving elderly..................maybe that's there way of making room for the young and out w/the old. No I think they have a high regard there for taking care of the old family members don't they? Wonder what the statistics are there regarding car accidents and do they have to have insurance there? Run like the wind in those big cities when you visit and drink lots of coffee to keep you alert Bullfrog

Reaction score
They would completely understand if you refused to eat the crickets and would not push it. They are a very respectful people and you are right about respecting the elderly. You would never see a senior stand on a bus while a young person sat, like in the US. Sadly, the old ways have been lost there.

Car accidents are frequent as they drive like maniacs. Insurance is cheap enough to afford and it's very advisable to get it as the jails and prisons here do not even provide a mattress, family members have to bring you one and you damn well better be able to defend it. I carry several million pesos and it's very cheap.

This long trip will be over tonight, we are actually now in Cardenas, the name of this thread and finally Gloria will be able to rest. I have to shower her daily, wash her hair and dress her but she is getting better daily. Still, we are both road weary and ready for a break. We found our land and construction will begin soon.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good to hear they won't tie me down. Our family system here is shot in the U.S. The gov't owns our kids now. They tell us how to raise them. Glad mine are grown. We did it our way and they turned out pretty good.

So they have the car insurance but wonder how good it is? Do you have to fight hard to get what you deserve? The jails sound really bad and I wonder how full they are. I bet they are very bad and people might be lucky to leave alive and still in one piece. Do you know any who have been in there?

Travel safe. You will be back to your peace in the mountains soon and bet you will both be glad. Hope Gloria gets better soon and now we get to watch you build your home and gardens :)

Reaction score
I have used the car insurance once and it worked as it should. As far as jail, yes, I know a couple of people who have been there (Americans) and it wasn't nice, beans and tortillas every day, cold.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Gloria was hurting so bad the day before we stopped with only 4 hours to go to make it home, will be there by noon.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are home by now and Gloria can rest and get better now. Take it easy and enjoy planning your new digs :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest Threads