Carnivorous plants in your bog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Does anyone grow pitcher plants in your bog? I can't seem to find any information about how to plant them in a gravel bog - everything seems to be directed at making a special peat bog. They're very cool plants and I'd love to get them growing!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some growing for a few years, but then they disappeared did not come back up in the spring.
I have a bunch in a peat moss, sand planting. They do like low ph I don't fertilize them at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Purple pitcher plants seem to be robust in varying soil types, I've seen them growing native in plain woodland settings, ordinary dirt and in a big plant tub growing very luxuriant, both had one thing in common they had dappled light positions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's quite a few native types here in the pinebarrens, so I'd agree with Meyer about the acidic sandy soil. I find them on the skirts of swampy areas along the sides of trails, so just a bit of sun, diffused if possible, not too much direct sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am growing some not in my bog but in a planter. They did not do well in my veggie filter so moved them to a planter in a peat moss medium. This is my 3rd year with them. Here in Indiana I take them in the garage in winter and bring them out in the spring. They do well they can take a good soaking but will tolerate some dry as well. Mine even flowered this year.
20170722_114251.jpg
20170509_142931.jpg

For clarity the purple flower in the 1st pic is not a pitcher plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am growing some not in my bog but in a planter. They did not do well in my veggie filter so moved them to a planter in a peat moss medium. This is my 3rd year with them. Here in Indiana I take them in the garage in winter and bring them out in the spring. They do well they can take a good soaking but will tolerate some dry as well. Mine even flowered this year.View attachment 102995 View attachment 102996

So pretty!

I pulled mine out of the bog and moved them to another area in the waterfall with some peat. Still too wet. (The 7 million inches of rain didn't help things much.) Moved them to a pot filled with peat in a last ditch effort to save them. And now they are most completely dead. I'll try again next year!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Mine came out in the my bog again this year but I had to move them to better spot to get light and that killed them. They need space and cant compete with obedient plants/irises.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am growing some not in my bog but in a planter. They did not do well in my veggie filter so moved them to a planter in a peat moss medium. This is my 3rd year with them. Here in Indiana I take them in the garage in winter and bring them out in the spring. They do well they can take a good soaking but will tolerate some dry as well. Mine even flowered this year.View attachment 102995 View attachment 102996

Do you water them in your garage over winter? I realize this thread is many years old, but worth asking. It’s my first winter with a potted yellow pitcher plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Article on overwintering carnivorous plants, from carnivorousplantnursery.com

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Article on overwintering carnivorous plants, from carnivorousplantnursery.com

Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Theres no need to bring them in mine have been in the bog for five years now 24/7

Ask a Question