1000 gallon garden pond

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks so much for posting the pictures @Tula ! How large is your pond? Have you had any problem with heavy wet snow pulling the cover down? How many pieces of wood did you use? Are you using just the stones to anchor the edges down? Looks very tempting to try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We haven't had a heavy snow this winter. When we had the 2 inches of rain, the old set up collapsed, but prior to that, I was constantly having to bail water from where it pooled. We've had heavy rains with this cover and it doesn't pool. So far, we've only had a few inches of snow at one time and it didn't gather, think it kind of blew off the high points.

I'll have to count how many pieces of wood we used, can't remember. I do know my focus was really on the center and getting height, so put the wood closer together there. Yes, I only use stones around the edges, it isn't air tight. My pond isn't large, it's 1700 gallons and 3 1/2 feet deep in the center.

The reason I tried this is I read if a pond is covered, it greatly reduces evaporation which causes cooling, much like how we feel when we get out of a shower. It also cuts down on wind chill. I'd also read that many koi come out of winter with ulcers on their bellies from resting on the bottom of the pond all winter, so thought if they're more active it would help.

I've never covered my pond before and it was always fine, but I worry more about my koi as they've grown older and larger.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never covered my pond before and it was always fine, but I worry more about my koi as they've grown older and larger.
I've been more concerned too since some of my fish are going on 12 years old. I've gotten a little attached to them. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've been more concerned too since some of my fish are going on 12 years old. I've gotten a little attached to them. :)

Exactly! I only have 4 and they're each named :) I really love them and miss interacting with them in the winter. This experiment is just a simple "lean to ", if I learn that wintering under a cover, benefits them, I'll try for something better next winter.....maybe like @callingcolleen1 has :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
feel the same they are pets no matter what you get really attached to them .Those cattle panels are great .They are sturdy but not to heavy .I saw the first one on you tube as a green house by a guy and loved it .

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'll try for something better next winter.....maybe like @callingcolleen1 has
Yes, I have been watching Colleen's experiment with covering her pond with interest too. I think my pond is too wide to actually build what she did, but your pond looks similar to mine. I can't wait to see how your experiment goes and then you can instruct me on how to build the cover! :)

I also think Colleen's theory about keeping the water moving under the ice is interesting. Just adding the pond breather to the pond last winter helped circulate the deeper water enough that I noticed the pond was much clearer in the spring. I could see to the bottom (34"), where in past years I could only see half as far. I would have never thought about it if Colleen hadn't mentioned it. But I am still using my aerator too because I like the assurance in case the pond breather goes out. I can tell when the aerator isn't working from inside the house. I have to go outside to make sure the pond breather is still working!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have the security cameras on ebay now down to 59 dollars and bought a set for my son up in NJ for his house and he said they are great .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
They have the security cameras on ebay now down to 59 dollars and bought a set for my son up in NJ for his house and he said they are great .
Where do you watch your security camera? On a lap top? Currently I have to go outside and peek under my cover, but I can also just check inside my pond shack to make sure things are running.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can see it from ny where but I have a dedicated tv in my kitchen for it .The tv hangs on the wall between the living room and kichen and I can turn it to view it any where .I can access it from any where when I am out also on m tablet or even my cell phone and on my puter from home
100_9809.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A little dark but this is how I can see mine on my lappy or one, four, etc views. Also dedicated tv that rotates through the views. Can see the same on my phone. The dark cameras are PTZ's I can move them around, they don't have as good night vision as the stationary ones.
Capture.JPG

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never considered a security camera. My pond is pretty close to the house and I can see it from my kitchen and bedroom windows really well. (Just can't make out if there is water flowing in the pond breather tube.) Now an underwater camera - that I have thought about! You have one of those too, don't you @addy1 ?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've never considered a security camera. My pond is pretty close to the house and I can see it from my kitchen and bedroom windows really well. (Just can't make out if there is water flowing in the pond breather tube.) Now an underwater camera - that I have thought about! You have one of those too, don't you @addy1 ?
I have two, one started leaking so I pulled it, the other was working fine but a lightening strike wiped out the power supply I need to find another one, i.e. find where I put the leaking camera with its supply.Or we have a box of supplies, just need to find a matching one. On my long list of to do's. I usually don't run it in the winter, the lens gets clouded over under the ice.

it does not work on my newer dvr so therefore have to run it with my older one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My son wants to add a motion thing to each of my cameras that will switch the tv view to that one camera when there is some type of movement from a heat source .He looked up all the parts for it after a geek friend of his did it to his security cameras .To me what he is saying is like a foreign language

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ahhhh, tis truly a thing of beauty....NOT - ha ha! I only have three 2 x 6 boards, that's it. They wouldn't fit inside the cement blocks the way I wanted, so I doubled the blocks and put them on top, to get the height I wanted. I am still using the 2 inch PVC pipes and I also have some criss crossed over the pond....as air stones , Pond Breather and de-icer, are attached to them.

It's 60 here today and since Mother Nature isn't able to provide water changes with the pond covered, I decided to add some fresh water. I usually over flow the pond for awhile, but it began over flowing immediately...then I realized there isn't much / any evaporation with it covered.

It's an interesting experiment :)

IMG_0805.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond, so far, has not needed any water added. In fact I never add water in the winter. It is not 100% ice covered, today what ice there was is melting fast. See a few fish here and there, no bodies!

Ask a Question