Catfish food for Koi?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was recently told by someone who has had Koi for a very long time that they feed them catfish floating food pellets from a feed store. She said that it has the same nutrients as Koi food but at half the price. Koi food is through the roof! Anyone else use catfish food? If so can you point me to which brand works for you? Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koi will eat just about anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are right that fish food has gotten outrageously expensive. I, too, would like to find a more reasonable alternative.

Be aware that some of those cheaper foods will really mess up the water.

If you find something you and your fish like, please share it.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The store I used to work at long ago would bag Purina Trout Chow for the thrifty. No recent experience though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stopped at McDonalds for the first time in years the dollar menu hamburger was 1.79 inflation is bad but not this stupid this is corporate greed.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I was recently told by someone who has had Koi for a very long time that they feed them catfish floating food pellets from a feed store. She said that it has the same nutrients as Koi food but at half the price. Koi food is through the roof! Anyone else use catfish food? If so can you point me to which brand works for you? Thanks!
Here is an old thread where we talked about what fish food koi would eat : https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...ensive-alternative-choices.23668/#post-382108

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Hi all, talking about cat food...
Here I'd like to show in pictures what I am currently preparing for my carp...and lately for a small shubies gang too.
I am new with fish but have lived with animals all my life. It might be just empaty with them but I feel they absolutely enjoy the food.
For the shubunkins I have to grind the pellets (see the stone food processor). This time cauliflower and carrots (others brocoli, potatoes, etc) Garlic not always but 2 times a week +/-.
Soon I wll try trout pellets as a protein complement.
Pls see the pictures.
Hope this to be an idea and your comments will be of big help to improve it. Thanks!

Attachments

• comida peces 09.JPG
    comida peces 09.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 4
  • comida peces 07.JPG
    comida peces 07.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 5
  • comida peces 08.JPG
    comida peces 08.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 5
  • comida peces 06.JPG
    comida peces 06.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 4
  • comida peces 05.JPG
    comida peces 05.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 3
  • comida peces 04.JPG
    comida peces 04.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 4
  • comida peces 03.JPG
    comida peces 03.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 4
  • comida peces 02.JPG
    comida peces 02.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 3
  • comida peces 01.JPG
    comida peces 01.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
Peru
Hi Juan
I want to apologize for my totally out of place comment below. I just read CAT and not CATFISH food. In my age, I am 64 and retired OMG.
Fact is, I have 4 dogs and one (koi)cat :ROFLMAO:, see the picture attached, and that kind of food is always available at home.
For the special fish food, it is not a cost problem for me (thank God), it is just an availability problem is this area, where fish pond activities are inexistent (in the mountains of Cusco Peru).
On the other side, that food, combined/balanced with vegetables is working ok sofar. I am still waiting for special food offered for the next weeks.
Sorry again.

Attachments

• tinta.JPG
    tinta.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 2

Ask a Question