Cats and the pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have installed a new small pond and have got a few goldfish for it. I am new to the pond life and the only person I knew who had one was my great grandad who sadly passed a few years ago.

I live in a house with 3 cats, not my choice. I just wanted to know that I was doing everything I could and right to protect my fishies from the cats. One cat is old and doesn’t take much notice and the other are I would say 4 and yet one doesn’t take much notice. I only see one head over a little today. When I opened the fish flakes this morning they all seemed very interested, so I let them smell the tin of fish flakes.

I have 3 fish and they are only 2/3” big. I got 5 little plants for them to swim in and eat and oxygenate the pong a little. And then two bigger plants that come out from the water, same idea again. I just picked up some plants for the surface of the pond as it’s hot, to offer shade and a hiding place.

Since having the fish I have put a net over the pond in hopes that will also help protect the fish from all. The pond is in a fenced off part of a garden bed and the pond was in way before I got any fish and the cats never seemed to care much or, touch wood, got in it.

The pond has got a solar powered water fountain and again the cats never cared.

Just hoping that I could chat to pond like fanatics and ensure that the fish will be okay. I have attached a couple of pictures so you can understand my situation better. Any help would be terrific!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8796.jpeg
    IMG_8796.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8705.jpeg
    IMG_8705.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8707.jpeg
    IMG_8707.jpeg
    428 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No cats here so I can't speak to that, but kudo's for the net. It will likely keep the kitties out and should also help with leaf litter.

Nice that you included pics so I could admire your California poppies and all your other plants. They'll help consume your fish waste.

You'll get lots of help and advice here - lots of experienced folks here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have four cats and none of them are interested in the fish. One drinks from the pond occasionally, and they all like the fish food. They don’t want to get wet though. If your cats don’t mind getting wet or like to swim, it might be a different story.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have four cats and none of them are interested in the fish. One drinks from the pond occasionally, and they all like the fish food. They don’t want to get wet though. If your cats don’t mind getting wet or like to swim, it might be a different story.
They definitely do not like getting wet so that’s a plus. Very glad to hear that the net itself should do most of the work. I did see a badger for the first time ever last night, scared me to death.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Wow! Badgers are cool! We've got porcupines, which I was really excited about at first, until they started digging up the garden. Trying to mend some fences to keep them out now, but without much luck.

So, cats... I've got three indoor-outdoor cats, plus a few neighborhood cats who come to drink out of the pond and stream. They're actually scared of the fish! Granted, several of the fish are fairly large, but none is anywhere near cat-sized. Still whenever one of the cats is drinking and a fish comes up to investigate, the cats jump back in alarm. It can be rather entertaining.

I sometimes wonder if the cats have some sort of racial memory of crocodiles. After all, house cats evolved here in the Muddle East, and during most of history Nile crocodiles were common as well.

Here's our ditzy calico, Arya, checking out the intake bay.

Arya at intake bay_web.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When I had cats one of them reached in w/her claws and pulled a fish out and did not eat it, just left it by the side of the pond to die. I saw her trying to do it but never thought she would succeed. My wire fence and netting kept the cats out too after that episode. The other cat fell in once and had a nice swim but never caught any fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I had cats one of them reached in w/her claws and pulled a fish out and did not eat it, just left it by the side of the pond to die. I saw her trying to do it but never thought she would succeed. My wire fence and netting kept the cats out too after that episode. The other cat fell in once and had a nice swim but never caught any fish.
Fantastic thank you for letting me know that’s settled me a bit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone tell me if this large fish is mating or is just bullying ? I’m lost on which this might be, I thought the other fish would cause the pregnant so I’m leaning to bullying which I’m hoping isn’t the case cause I would worry for their safety.

I have a video but I’m unable to attach it to this message, if anyone knows how please let me know.

Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think the only way is to put the video you created on youtube and then attach it here. You have to have a youtube account. Then go to youtube and there will be a how to on their site. Click the little movie camera icon on the top of the youtube site and it will lead you on how to add the video. Then once you get your video on youtube, see above the 3 vertical dots next to the smiley face here on the forum when you are posting? Click on that and you will see choices. Click the one on the left that will say media when you float over it w/your mouse. There you can add the URL of your youtube video.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the only way is to put the video you created on youtube and then attach it here. You have to have a youtube account. Then go to youtube and there will be a how to on their site. Click the little movie camera icon on the top of the youtube site and it will lead you on how to add the video. Then once you get your video on youtube, see above the 3 vertical dots next to the smiley face here on the forum when you are posting? Click on that and you will see choices. Click the one on the left that will say media when you float over it w/your mouse. There you can add the URL of your youtube video.
Fantastic thank you, I hope this has worked.

I’d like to say I have only noticed this behaviour during feeding so far.

Ask a Question