Ceaning your pond????

Reaction score
I think "larger than a pool" would exclude a 50 gallon preform or my patio "pond" for that matter. But to me the real issue is getting folks to understand that all "ponds" are not the same - call it whatever you want, a 50 gallon container of water is different than a 5000 gallon container of water.
That all depends on how big a pool is. Their definition of a "Natural pool" is: Natural Pool – any body of water smaller than a pond, (generally less than 18 inches in depth), typically found intermittently arranged within the confines of a watercourse, such as a brook, a creek or a stream. These small pockets of water generally display a significant reduction in water movement than their host element.
Only if it is at least 18" deep. Which would make for a very small preform....2' x 2' x 18".
PLeeeeease. Meyers you are reaching for straws again to support your own views. First you use this list to support your views, then when it gets pointed out it doesn't quite fit your views you attempt to dismiss it by saying it's only one list and not all water feature "professionals" agree on it, then your come back and use it again quoting that weak 18" rule, as though if a pond was 17" it would be put in a totally different category than one that was an inch deeper. And a weak argument it is because if you read the part of definition where it says 18" it starts the sentence by saying (typically ...... ranging between 18 and 48 inches in depth).

Actually I found this list to be very comprehensive in covering all aspects of water feature designs, and being such you would think it would be pretty strange if they didn't include the most popular type of back yard water feature (small fish ponds under 1000 gallons). But the fact is they do include it right here >>> "Pond/Fish Pond – any body of water, larger than a pool and smaller than a lake, (typically less than 1,000,000 gallons in size and ranging between 18 and 48 inches in depth), whose primary focus are the fish that inhabit the pond. A pond can also contain aquatic plants but usually does so as a naturalistic landscape element, water quality measure and/or to soften the pond’s hardscape of rocks, boulders or other edging and construction materials."

If small preforms and liner pond kits being labeled and sold as ponds don't fit under that definition then show me which definition from that list they do fit under?

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
PLeeeeease. Meyers you are reaching for straws again to support your own views. First you use this list to support your views, then when it gets pointed out it doesn't quite fit your views you attempt to dismiss it by saying it's only one list and not all water feature "professionals" agree on it, then your come back and use it again quoting that weak 18" rule, as though if a pond was 17" it would be put in a totally different category than one that was an inch deeper. And a weak argument it is because if you read the part of definition where it says 18" it starts the sentence by saying (typically ...... ranging between 18 and 48 inches in depth).

I posted this list as one source to support that fact the the term Water Feature is a universally used term. A fact that you were disputing. I also stated, when I posted the link to this list that-"Some of the definitions in the above list require further refinement"
Since you decided to use this list to prove a point, I only utilized the source that you had chosen to support your argument that the list in fact was not valid support.
There are many and varied definitions of a pond. None are specific as to size and really speak in only generalities.
I am still looking for a definition of when a pond is a pond and not a lake or a large puddle. The list from the IPPCA does not address this.

Ask a Question