changing fish food

Reaction score
Hi, I have had my koi now for a little over a month. I got them when they were less than 3 inches long so I imagine they were pretty young. The guy at the pet shop sent me home with tera pond sticks and I've been feeding them to em since. I ran out the other day and bought a big bag of laguna medium pellets that look smaller tham the sticks. The fish come to the top when I toss them in and then swim away. I even noticed today that one of the fish took a pellet in its mouth, swim away, spit it out, and never looked back.

I've never owned fish before but is this common? I am heading out now to get them the ones that they eat but should I just stick to what I know they eat or try new? Thanks and sorry for the noob question.

Reaction score
Sometimes they can be picky, but when they get hungry enough they will eat it. It's actually a really good idea to blend foods--I actually have 5 different brands/types blended into a bucket.

Like a picky-eater child, they won't starve.

Ask a Question