goldfish changing color as it grows

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This is really interesting to me! I have my first pond going and I'm really enjoying it! I have several goldfish that I rescued from the feeder tanks at Petsmart. They were all white and orange combos -- about 2" long when I got them.

They are now about 6 to 7 inches long. While most look the same, just bigger, one of them has changed coloration a lot. It was mostly white with a lot of orange. Now it is almost completely white! I guess this is normal?

Fascinating!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a red and white feeder. He is in a 10 gallon tank till I get pond cycled. I always make mistake and look in feeder tank

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is really interesting to me! I have my first pond going and I'm really enjoying it! I have several goldfish that I rescued from the feeder tanks at Petsmart. They were all white and orange combos -- about 2" long when I got them.

They are now about 6 to 7 inches long. While most look the same, just bigger, one of them has changed coloration a lot. It was mostly white with a lot of orange. Now it is almost completely white! I guess this is normal?

Fascinating!
It is fascinating and super fun! I raised a few fry a couple of years ago and watched them go from olive green to.......well, I couldn't really tell which fish turned into which color from that point. But I was fortunate to have some Shubunkin fry mixed in -- I kept them in an inside tank until they overtaxed the system, so it was really easy to keep an eye on them. They started out TOTALLY different from the common/comet ones! They were a clearish pink color with big black eyes! Then, as they grew they started developing their Shuby colors -- now THAT transition could be tracked, unlike with the non-Shubies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Sadly, black seems to always change to orange in my ponds, except in all calico goldfish and shubunkins in general. Some of my whites develop some black and orange.

If you are orange... you're staying orange.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b

Fascinating!
interesting yes its best part , white is the last colour lol nothing after it , orange dont come back as far as i have observed . hey u had fry too? where are they

Sadly, black seems to always change to orange in my ponds, except in all calico goldfish and shubunkins in general. Some of my whites develop some black and orange.

i want black too , i had few black ones or with black markings as they grow they loss black , very few have small markings hardly visible

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b

interesting yes its best part , white is the last colour lol nothing after it , orange dont come back as far as i have observed . hey u had fry too? where are they

i want black too , i had few black ones or with black markings as they grow they loss black , very few have small markings hardly visible
The little ones are fun to watch as well. I have four that are about an inch and half long. They are black. I have 4 that are orange and white, and a couple that are black and white speckled. I haven't seen any more tiny fry in a good while -- which is a good thing! I'm hoping that they are eating eggs. I don't want too many fish in there -- at least not in the first year!!!!!!

Ask a Question