Chihuahua Goes to the Vet Today

Reaction score
I have a cheagel. half chawawa and half beagal. she looks like a beagal and acts like a chawawa. She loves to sleep under the covers or between pillows.

jesseB3

ex-reefer
Reaction score
The vet said they normally have knee caps that pop out, mine does not.

i have rasied chihuahuas my whole life and these are very common problems. the hind legs are where most of the knee cap/hip problbems are. alot of it is caused by standing on their hind legs in an upright position and years of jump off high furniture. we have little doggie stairs for ours to help remedy this problem.

They normally have something wrong with thier skull between their eyes (she used a techinical term I did not understand) but he doesn't have that.

Because the birth canal of small breeds are so narrow and a puppy’s head is the biggest part of the puppy’s body, having a molera, or an opening that allows the skull to be flexible, makes it easier for that big head to slide out. In some cases, the opening will fuse on its own as the puppy grows up, and in some cases it will remain open for the rest of its life, which is completely fine.Having a molera is a typical trait of small breeds, trauma to the soft spot may cause seizures or blindness conditions, so you want to avoid situations where your chihuahua can hit its head.

And she said normally by age 4 they have teeth rotting, Chihuahuas have horrible mouths. But his teeth are fine, just need a cleaning which I scheduled for 4/3. I can't wait to get rid of his poo breath :) I feed him at least 1-2 greenies a day though and the vet said that is probably why his teeth are better than most. He is a greenie junkie.

Chihuahuas do have the wost oral hygiene, just keep up the greenies and start adding a plaque inhibitor to its food to help control the amount of plaque build up between cleanings(yes you should have it done yearly). we use ProDen PlaqueOff on their dry food everyday and noticed a large difference within a month.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Jesse! You are so knowledgeable on the subject. Now if you can tell me how to prevent him from throwing temper tantrums to get his way that would be great LOL :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Brushing there teeth helps .I use a childrens tooth paste .My mom raised chihuahuas and never had one who had bad breath because she would line them up and brush there teeth .She would start them as puppies with it and then she would teach the people who purchased them how to do it .So easy once they are used to it .Good to do with all breeds of dogs .They now have an oral spray that really helps keep there gums clean and also have toothpaste for dogs .My pee wee is just over 2 years old and a lover and a boss to my pit bull .But king arthur the pit bull would protect pee wee to the ends of the earth .

Ask a Question