Chinese High fin shark

Reaction score
I went out and bought one of these little beauties today. We have a little algae going on in the pond and I thought it would be a nice addition. My wife and I admired it all the way home. We admired it while we acclamated it and we now are pretty much done admiring it....................We can't see it no more...LMAO We dropped it in the pond and poof gone. We got the one with as much color as we could but still very hard to locate, at least in the daylight. I'll let you know how it goes under the lights at night.

Cheers Rick

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i saw DR Ds pic it looks like a neat fish. whats your pond doing ?

Reaction score
Pond is doing good. It has a little normal algae. Nothing out of the ordinary. Went to the local fish store and they had some real healthy looking high fin's, thought I'd give one a try. He seems to be doing good this morning.

Rick

Reaction score
:grumble: ???????; How much did you pay for the high fins??? $12.50 ? more. Our local pet store has them but she is asking $45.00 each for them. Good or Bad price??:FIREdevil::profile:

Reaction score
Hello.....................First I would find out if it was locally bred as they are endangered species. Having said that the price would be dictated by size. I paid $40.00 for mine which was about 5 inches long when I bought her. I've had mine I think 2 or 3 months now and she is doing great and is a great addition to the pond. They do pretty much eat algae so if your pond is low or no algae you need to supplement with algae tabs........Good luck

Rick

Reaction score
They are an endangered species, so I don't recommend Just buying one without knowing if it was locally bred or not, but thats your choice. Where do you live?

Reaction score
My family is definitely interested in finding one locally bred. We keep reef tanks and try to only get aquacultured corals and tank raised fish. We live in Dallas, GA about 45 minutes from Atlanta.

Reaction score
Well I was just looking at the Wikipedia reference of them and the water temp range is a lot higher than I thought. http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Myxocyprinus_asiaticus
If you live in Dallas I assume it does get pretty cold and you might have to house it in an aquarium during the winter as the temp range seems to be 65 to 82. I was told something else at the local fish store of course. Anyhow I found mine at a local fish store and they are everywhere here in So. Cal. I would not know where to tell you where to get one in your area and you might get some guff from others on this forum about getting one at all as they are endangered. When I got mine and mentioned it on another forum, I was scolded for doing so by several members. If it was me I would go to your most trusted local fish store and ask them......Good luck

Reaction score
Well, I did a little reading also and the top of the water froze last winter except at the waterfall. I don't have a freshwater aquarium to put him in so oh well. Keep us posted as to how yours is doing.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I bet I can guess which Forum that was. They are the biggest bunch of "know it all snobs" I have ever run into. Everything with them is either black or white. They would have you kill your entire population of Koi if even one is suspected of having a disease.

I have friends with Chinese High fin sharks in their ponds here in So Cal. They have had ice on their ponds in the winter at times and never lost them. It gets over a 100 degrees here in the summer. Those are pretty tough fish.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I bet I can guess which Forum that was. They are the biggest bunch of "know it all snobs" I have ever run into. Everything with them is either black or white. They would have you kill your entire population of Koi if even one is suspected of having a disease.

Yeah you do know the one................. I actually stopped posting after that. They made me feel like a criminal. Even though this high fin was bred locally supposedly and was in a 30 gallon tank with 6 other high fins, I thought I'd be giving this fish a good life. He is doing awesome and seems to be very happy in his new diggs. My wife and I love him. I live in So. Cal too. Do you think he would be ok in my pond through the winter here? I have 6 other indoor aquariums and could house him/her inside if needed but would prefer to keep in the pond. What do you think Dr. Dave??

Rick

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have friends with Chinese High fin sharks in their ponds here in So Cal. They have had ice on their ponds in the winter at times and never lost them. It gets over a 100 degrees here in the summer. Those are pretty tough fish.

My friend lives in Ramona where it gets into the low 30's wintertime. His have been in his pond for years now. His is 3' Deep pond and in-ground so maybe it is warmer. Your's is above ground, but deep enough. Worth a try, you always have the alternative if you think it's getting too cold out.

Ask a Question