Chinese High fin shark

Reaction score
:4_13_71:if they are endangered then why is it they can be sold at all.???
The ones here are 3" long max. Don't know where they get them. I will have to ask. Utah winters are dry and cold.:cold: Hummmmmm I think I will look into this one a little deeper. I have seen them for sale on the net for 12.50 + shipping.:wink::compute:

Reaction score
pondlady said:
:4_13_71:if they are endangered then why is it they can be sold at all.???
The ones here are 3" long max. Don't know where they get them. I will have to ask. Utah winters are dry and cold.:cold: Hummmmmm I think I will look into this one a little deeper. I have seen them for sale on the net for 12.50 + shipping.:wink::compute:

Well as I said in a earlier post, I was scolded on another pond forum for purchasing one. However I noticed they are everywhere here in So. Cal at local fish store's and don't appear to be endangered here at least. The ones here are about 5 to 6 inches long. The link they posted on the other forum mentioned they are endangered in China only and unknown in the aquarium trade http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/myxocyprinus/myxocyprinus.html
..............All I know is we love ours and she appears to love her new home as well

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Now is your chance to take on those eliteists and challenge where they got their "endangered species" information. Ask for proof.
I love a good fight.:wink:

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Now is your chance to take on those eliteists and challenge where they got their "endangered species" information. Ask for proof.
I love a good fight.:wink:

Well I don't really post on that site any more as most of those guy's are in England but, it is in wikipedia encyclopedia that it is an endangered species. I already had mine by the time I learned any of this and all I know is I treat this fish like I treat all my fish and animals, which is to say better than I treat myself. I live, breath and sleep fish, dogs and cats. It is funny though that that forum was bucking for votes as it fell from being the top website for koi, and was asking for people to vote for it to put it back on top. I find this one to be much more enjoyable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Canada
I am new to the forum. Looks like there is a ton of great information on here.
I live in Southern Ontario (Canada) and I have been trying to locate somewhere where I can purchase a Chinese High Fin Banded Shark for my pond. It's about 1500 gallons and I think the High Fin would make a great addition but I can't seem to locate one. There are a number of sites online where they can be purchased but all of the ones I've found thus far are in the US and don't ship to Canada.
If anyone here can provide any idea of where I might be able to get one in Ontario, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd suggest you read up as I found the hi-fin shark can 'tolerate' water temps as low as 40 deg F. I doubt your pond would stay warmer than that in Canada, unless you plan on heating it.

Sorry can't help with locating the fish, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Canada
I'd suggest you read up as I found the hi-fin shark can 'tolerate' water temps as low as 40 deg F. I doubt your pond would stay warmer than that in Canada, unless you plan on heating it.

Sorry can't help with locating the fish, though.
I have done a bit of homework, and, as you say, that was about the minimum temperature that was suggested was safe for these fish. My pond is heated in the winter, and I have a large aquarium inside for any of the fish that require a "winter home" :)
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw these here in Missouri last summer at our only fish store in our area. I bought all my fish at this store. The person on duty told me they can handle anything a koi could. I paid 30 usd for one that was roughly 6 inches. Such a cool looking fish. I added it to my 3000 gallons pond around july 0f 2020. He did great until winter hit. He is gone now, and I never even found his body. The last time I saw him was just before my water dropped under 50 degrees Fahrenheit in October. We did have an extreme winter for our area, so I assume the cold killed him.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I saw these here in Missouri last summer at our only fish store in our area. I bought all my fish at this store. The person on duty told me they can handle anything a koi could. I paid 30 usd for one that was roughly 6 inches. Such a cool looking fish. I added it to my 3000 gallons pond around july 0f 2020. He did great until winter hit. He is gone now, and I never even found his body. The last time I saw him was just before my water dropped under 50 degrees Fahrenheit in October. We did have an extreme winter for our area, so I assume the cold killed him.

I see them sold quite abit as pond fish, but they can’t withstand even normal winter temps at most northern zones, obviously can’t withstand what koi can. Fish store employees can be notoriously ignorant of the needs of the aquatic life they sell.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
These are the same people that tell people you can keep koi in an aquarium!

Ugh ugh ugh. We may all have or own ideas about pond building, but one thing I think we ALL agree on - fish sellers who sell fish without giving proper information about their habitat needs are the WORST. I've stood in big box pet stores and waited for a manager to come and remove koi from the aquariums on more than one occasion. When I show them pictures of my koi many of them are shocked - they just stock what they're sent by the buyers and have no idea that these fish are unsuited for tank life... at least for the average in-home aquarium keeper.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This same store told me I could have 20 koiin my pond....and at that time it was only about 1500 gallons. WAY too small for koi at all. I've since done my homework, and increased the pond to over 3000 gallons, but I still have too many fish.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am new to the forum. Looks like there is a ton of great information on here.
I live in Southern Ontario (Canada) and I have been trying to locate somewhere where I can purchase a Chinese High Fin Banded Shark for my pond. It's about 1500 gallons and I think the High Fin would make a great addition but I can't seem to locate one. There are a number of sites online where they can be purchased but all of the ones I've found thus far are in the US and don't ship to Canada.
If anyone here can provide any idea of where I might be able to get one in Ontario, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

I have kept High Fin Banded Sharks (Myxocyprinus asiaticus) in my ponds for over 10 years. I live in Durham Region, Ontario. They live in my outdoor ponds year round. I have recently closed our pond and water garden business where we bred koi and pond fish commercially and ran a full service pond and water garden retail centre. I am semi retired now. I have started a consulting business and have a list of folks looking for HFBS. Let me know if you are still looking!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have kept High Fin Banded Sharks (Myxocyprinus asiaticus) in my ponds for over 10 years. I live in Durham Region, Ontario. They live in my outdoor ponds year round. I have recently closed our pond and water garden business where we bred koi and pond fish commercially and ran a full service pond and water garden retail centre. I am semi retired now. I have started a consulting business and have a list of folks looking for HFBS. Let me know if you are still looking!!

I won't question your ability to keep these fish at temps below what most references claim they can survive, but what about size? How big are your ponds that you keep these fish in?

Ask a Question