Chinese High fin shark

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@KCKWG Agree with Lisa, great that you can keep them at temps below what they supposedly can survive. Little more info on how you do this. Don’t take it personally, but I don’t trust someone’s advice especially on what fish can survive in certain setups that has something to gain that goes against my experiences.

My experience with the high fin banded sharks is that don’t make it over the winter in cold climates, and I am in a much warmer climate than you. On the other side I don’t know if many buyers realize what they look like when they mature and how big they get ( approaching 4’)they go from the cool banded look to a fish that looks like it fell out of an ugly tree and broke every branch on the way down. Personally, I like oddball fish, which is why I tried them in my pond, years back.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@KCKWG Agree with Lisa, great that you can keep them at temps below what they supposedly can survive. Little more info on how you do this. Don’t take it personally, but I don’t trust someone’s advice especially on what fish can survive in certain setups that has something to gain that goes against my experiences.

My experience with the high fin banded sharks is that don’t make it over the winter in cold climates, and I am in a much warmer climate than you. On the other side I don’t know if many buyers realize what they look like when they mature and how big they get ( approaching 4’)they go from the cool banded look to a fish that looks like it fell out of an ugly tree and broke every branch on the way down. Personally, I like oddball fish, which is why I tried them in my pond, years back.

I don't stand to gain much, I broker deals of rare pond fish, and basically form buying groups to get large enough quantities to get the best deals for everyone in the group! I have been in the aquarium commercial and retail trade since my teens. Mainly working with pond species. I have trialed many fish species over the years and had great successes and abysmal failures. The HFBS are one of the biggest successes for sure. My observations have been that they do not grow as fast as they have the potential to. My one HFBS is 10 years old, 14" long and still retains its juvenile pattern.

I assure you, I can provide a large number of references regarding my ethical and responsible practices and relations with my past clients and retail customers. BUT I commend your skepticism and caution as your fish will definitely be well cared for and benefit because of it!!

I am first and foremost a devoted hobbyist, love sharing and exchanging experiences and knowledge! I came across this post in my recent internet search for a new source for HFBS. My previous supplier closed their business. Just wanted to share my HFBS keeping history! No charge!!! LOL

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I won't question your ability to keep these fish at temps below what most references claim they can survive, but what about size? How big are your ponds that you keep these fish in?
I have kept them in systems as small as 2000 gallons with a 4' depth. My current HFBS is in an 18,000 gallon pond that we built last year. It has an area of 15'x15' at a depth of 6'. Total pond dimensions are approximately 20' x 40'. We were basically just able to get the liner in in time to winter my gang as we moved last fall. For wintering I just use an aerator, 2 diffusers placed at the 3' depth, one in each end of the pond. The pond supports numerous koi, ranging from 6" to 3 large ladies at 38", 2 sturgeon, 6 channel cats, wakin and watonai, shubunkins, yellow perch, pumpkinseed, a common carp, the HFBS and a brown bullhead. We do "Wet Pet Rescue" so take in a crazy variety of aquatic animals, some we rehome others like the big carp will stay with us. I have sold many HFBS when we ran our retail business and many of my past customers keep in touch and have had their HFBS for many years as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@KCKWG " a fish that looks like it fell out of an ugly tree and broke every branch on the way down."

I just had to respond to this quote, @Jhn as I'm still laughing! Going to have to remember this one!

No furtherences re HFBS! I found the usual comments re 'black/dark' fish in the pond to be true when I bought my karasu; once in, you can never find them again. That said, I knew this but I was working with the theory that this purchase was for my underwater viewing, which shows up the black goldfish just fine. And all that said, the karasu didn't make it!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I just had to respond to this quote, @Jhn as I'm still laughing! Going to have to remember this one!

No furtherences re HFBS! I found the usual comments re 'black/dark' fish in the pond to be true when I bought my karasu; once in, you can never find them again. That said, I knew this but I was working with the theory that this purchase was for my underwater viewing, which shows up the black goldfish just fine. And all that said, the karasu didn't make it!
Aim to please lol, I am too use to your acronyms, for a little bit I am thinking what is HFBS short for in a pond like, hard f***ing bottom nah thats not right…not thinking of the fish being discussed.

Actually since I enlarged the pond was thinking of putting a sterlet (think dwarf sturgeon) in the pond, but those things are impossible to find in the U.S. probably for the best, as I should just stick with my menagerie Of terrapins and fish as it is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Aim to please lol, I am too use to your acronyms, for a little bit I am thinking what is HFBS short for in a pond like, hard f***ing bottom nah thats not right…not thinking of the fish being discussed.

Actually since I enlarged the pond was thinking of putting a sterlet (think dwarf sturgeon) in the pond, but those things are impossible to find in the U.S. probably for the best, as I should just stick with my menagerie Of terrapins and fish as it is.
I read a bit re sturgeon and though super interesting, seems they're harder to 'feed' in that the other fish compete pretty hard for all the food and the sturgeon will only get what falls to the bottom, and that's if it can get to it before the koi and goldfish! BUT! If you DO get one, don't forget the before pics (in case you never can find it again!!).

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I have a Sterlet, got my from a friend in Florida!!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have kept High Fin Banded Sharks (Myxocyprinus asiaticus) in my ponds for over 10 years. I live in Durham Region, Ontario. They live in my outdoor ponds year round. I have recently closed our pond and water garden business where we bred koi and pond fish commercially and ran a full service pond and water garden retail centre. I am semi retired now. I have started a consulting business and have a list of folks looking for HFBS. Let me know if you are still looking!!
Hello,
I just read your post on High Fin Banded Sharks.
I would be extremely interested in discussing the possibility of putting them in my pond. I live in Stayner Ontario

Cheers
Brian

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1630709687929.gif
@KCKWG

1630709563161.gif

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have kept High Fin Banded Sharks (Myxocyprinus asiaticus) in my ponds for over 10 years. I live in Durham Region, Ontario. They live in my outdoor ponds year round. I have recently closed our pond and water garden business where we bred koi and pond fish commercially and ran a full service pond and water garden retail centre. I am semi retired now. I have started a consulting business and have a list of folks looking for HFBS. Let me know if you are still looking!!
Yes. Still looking. Help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Canada
Hi, I am still looking for some of these fish. I live in Niagara on the Lake and would definitely take some of them off your hands if you still have them available. Please let me know. Thanks, Kevin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I am still looking for some of these fish. I live in Niagara on the Lake and would definitely take some of them off your hands if you still have them available. Please let me know. Thanks, Kevin
PM me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Canada
I tried to but I don't have enough posts (10) yet to be able to use the PM feature. I was trying to PM you and was getting failures and Ian on this forum explained that that was the reason.
You should be able to PM me however. Please let me know if you are able to. Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just make a few short posts and you will be fine to PM.

Ask a Question