j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bought a tropical Hibiscus from Lowes one year and had to bring it indoors every Fall and finally it gave up the ghost.
Was kinda glad tho as it looked horrible indoors when it lost its leaves the last year of its life. It sure was pretty when it bloomed tho.
Then I bought 2 hardy bush/tree type Hibiscus from Lowes and they lived for a couple years and then they died also. Think they rotted from all the rain we get here. They have some up here at the Woodland Park Zoo that are tree size and get beautiful blooms on them.
This was mine before it croaked.
IMG_2065.JPG

Then I got some seeds(Hibiscus Coccineus) from Larkin here on this forum and grew them. I transplanted them outside one year and they lived through our winter but this year I'm not sure whether they have made it or not.

This was last Summer. I never got a bloom from them tho:
IMG_4983.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine bloomed, the start you sent me jw, but they may have died this winter. I have a feeling I have lost a few marginal plants that have had issues in other winters that were warmer.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I think those Hibiscus grow best down in the southern warmer temps year round. I'll have to see if any of mine came through when it gets closer to Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I told myself I have enough flowers and I do not need another flower bed to take care of but now the beds are just about as full as I should get them I want to make another one. I cant help myself, I want to buy more plants. My hubby keeps me in check though with trees and shrubs because it makes the mowing harder to do. If it wasn't for him our mowing would take 3 times longer cause I would have stuff planted everywhere. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wait haver the more flower beds the less you have of the grass so should take less time.........................just get rid of all the grass and have only flower beds w/ paths through them............how neat would that be?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wish we would do that w/our whole acre but hubby doesn't like that idea. I would have a jungle of trees,plants and flowers :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got rid of all hard to mow grass, i.e. slopes, made the areas around the gardens, plants wide enough for the riding mower to get around them. They have expanded around 5 times the size they started out at. Need room for the plants lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't see all your other comments. I too would love to have a jungle of a back yard. My plan is just introduce it plant by plant until hubby wakes up one day and realizes it's 95% garden! Of course mainly perennials, shrubs, grasses and trees. And vines everywhere! Hostages are so simple, easy and stunning! I love mixing different kinds!!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Lose the lawn while you're at it. There's nothing like a backyard that never has to see a lawnmower.

Of course, like all things, size does matter.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'm a big fan of the Hostas, seeing as there are so many different varieties, sizes, leaf colors, etc. The blooms are nothing to write about, but you can't beat a Hosta for an idiot proof plant and that can be divided any time of the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You're definitely right about the flowers on hostas, and in my experience they look scraggly quickly, but they sure are versatile. We'll probably always have enough lawn to run soccer drills on, but I'm certainly not one to baby a lawn.

Ask a Question