Clay Kitty Litter Alternative

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oil-dri says silica and can harm your lungs if you breath it.

This is why I recommended reading the label first. The NAPA stuff I use has <1% of silica and lists 100% Diatomaceous Earth as ingredients.

Regardless, I rinse it thoroughly to keep down the dust and remove any residue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Could it be the type of potting pot used allowed too much kitty litter to seep out causing the cloudiness? When I used kitty litter I used a nursery plant pot (black with 3/4 drainage holes on outside bottom rim). I also covered the holes with coffee filters allowing water to circulate but keep in the kitty litter. I never used a mesh basket.
Just my 2 cents!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Could it be the type of potting pot used allowed too much kitty litter to seep out causing the cloudiness? When I used kitty litter I used a nursery plant pot (black with 3/4 drainage holes on outside bottom rim). I also covered the holes with coffee filters allowing water to circulate but keep in the kitty litter. I never used a mesh basket.
Just my 2 cents!

Good catch! A mesh basket would have a hard time holding almost any plant media inside, unless it was hard packed.

Reaction score
When I replanted my lilies this year I didn't have any kitty litter so I used regular dirt. What a mistake. The next day the pond was so muddy I couldn't see an inch down. After running the filter for a week I resorted to having to set up a separate two stage filter to clean up the mess. I did a youtube video on it. Once cleaned up I headed to Walmart and bought a bag of kitty litter. Even with some of the litter spilling out the pond remained crystal clear so clear in fact that the only thing I see is the white kitty litter on the bottom. I'll never make the mistake of using dirt again!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any time I add the litter the dust floats out and is gone within a day. I never pre-rinse the litter and as others of said the clay dust is good for the pond.

Reaction score
We have a filter with 70 anoxic filter baskets (9" x 9" water plant baskets) filled with kitty litter from Walmart (100% clay). I prerinsed many times and still had cloudy water for a bit, mostly in the filter. After a while, it cleared up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is what I use

Screenshot_20190630-071101_Chrome.jpg

Pondcare Aquatic Planting Media 25LB. Bag Easy to use planting media for all aquatic plants. It is comprised of a unique blend of natural minerals, including Zeolite which securely holds the plants in its container so that the plants can form a strong root system. Zeolite adds the benefit of high nutrients-holding capacity. Does not float, cloud water or clog filters.
Brand: API

Ask a Question