Bentonite clay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thoughts on bentonite clay and the effects on fish health and algae growth... and go!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It works well as first,a flocculant to remove algae and secondly, to adsorb toxins in the water column.
It is not only harmless to all animals, but is used extensively as a livestock food additive primarily because of its toxin removal ability.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It works well as first,a flocculant to remove algae and secondly, to adsorb toxins in the water column.
It is not only harmless to all animals, but is used extensively as a livestock food additive primarily because of its toxin removal ability.

I feed it to my horses regularly and have noticed amazing results in their health. When I saw the benefits to a pond I had to try it! Especially since I had it on hand. I've had really bad string algae for a few weeks now and I added 4 tablespoons. At first my water got green and cloudy then I had a ton of string algae float to the top. Then I did a scrub and the walls and floor of the pond as well. After about four hours and cleaning my skimmer every hour or so my pond is almost back to clear and my string algae is greatly decreased. So far I'm sold. Just was curious of other people's opinions. To go from pea soup to clear in four hours is pretty amazing to me. Water was clear before application though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No need to remove the carpet algae on the sides and bottom as the fish love it and it is beneficial to the water. Actually I think it makes for a more natural looking pond. But fine to remove the string algae.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Koi clay (Bentonite0 only affects suspended algae through flocculation. It works on string algae by adsorbing the Phosphorus in the water column starving the string algae of its prime nutrient. The addition of a small amount of Lanthemum also kills the algae. This is also sold pre-mixed under the label PhosOut.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It gives the water in my pond a beautiful soft sheen. Fish look bright an colorful too, but I'm not sure if they would look any different without the clay.

Ask a Question