clear in the AM cloudy in the PM

Reaction score
My new pond (8 days old) is pretty clear in the morning, but by the afternoon I can barely see the bottom. The pond is 3 ft deep. Any ideas on what would be causing this?
Thanks

Reaction score
hello there this may not be your problem but when we go fishing in the early morning at a lake the water always seems clearer by mid afternoon when the sun is overhead the glare reflects every little particle in the water so we use polarized lenz glasses to see I'm new to yard ponds though so i'm sure someone that really knows will help out

Reaction score
-My pond kinda does the same thing, but i kinda just chalked it up to the fish being active and stirring things up during the day.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
As your pond heats up, the algae that lays on the bottom floats to the top. I usually try to use a skimmer net to remove excess from mine about mid afternoon. That may be causing your dilema. Oldhead has part of the problem solved, the fish stir it up while it is rising.

Reaction score
Update:
My pond kept getting worse and looked like rootbeer 24/7. I installed a UV light and 3 days later I have crystal clear water. Boy it sure is nice to be able to see the brilliant colors on my koi.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
though some poo-poo the use of a UV, I highly recommend 'em. There is never a cloudy day when the UV is shining. LOL!

I'm with you, I will never have another pond without a UV. My pond is as clear as my swimming pool.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I'm with the last two postings. The water in my pond has stayed quite clear for the last four months since I installed the UV clearifier from Lowes.

I installed the inline UV clearifier between the skimmer/pre-filter, and the boi-filter that flows to my waterfall.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
So the debate continues...

So why is it that mine is clear as a bell and I have never used UV? At least not in a pond. It all comes down to pond management. The right balance of plants and bio filter along with circulation and occasional water exchanges.

You can take the easy way out or do it better and not have to pay the price of UV. The cost doesn't end at purchase either, electricity and replacement bulbs.

The point of this is to let you know that being reactive is never as good as being proactive.:p

Reaction score
DrDave said:
So the debate continues...

So why is it that mine is clear as a bell and I have never used UV? At least not in a pond. It all comes down to pond management. The right balance of plants and bio filter along with circulation and occasional water exchanges.

You can take the easy way out or do it better and not have to pay the price of UV. The cost doesn't end at purchase either, electricity and replacement bulbs.

The point of this is to let you know that being reactive is never as good as being proactive.:D

I completely agree. However, I choose to have less plants and more beautiful koi in my pond. Since I don't want to cover my pond in plants, I need the uv light. Where I installed mine nobody knows I even have one. I don't mind paying the extra cost in exchange for more fish that I can see. I say what ever you want out of your pond is fine. But everybody agrees they want clear water, which ever way they obtain it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
fastener said:
I completely agree. However, I choose to have less plants and more beautiful koi in my pond. Since I don't want to cover my pond in plants, I need the uv light. Where I installed mine nobody knows I even have one. I don't mind paying the extra cost in exchange for more fish that I can see. I say what ever you want out of your pond is fine. But everybody agrees they want clear water, which ever way they obtain it.

This is the best answer so far in 2 years of this debate. Finally, someone that gets it rather than argue the point. Thank you.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I really didn't have very much problems getting my water to clear up after a really bad algee boom that turned everything pea soup green. I keep for me was when I moved my water lettuce into the top of my little 14gal skippy filter. 3 days after I did that it reached crystal clear just so happened to be that that same day was the hottest day this year at 105F. My pond isn't very big (350gal) so I am sure a larger pond would be harder to control algee on with just some water lettuce in the filter but if you haven't tried it you may want to give it a shoot. Given this means you need a open top filter. The other big plus to using them in the filter is that it would allow more viewing in your pond if you didn't want to add a lot of plants.

Reaction score
The plants in my pond a still pretty small, but as you can see in the pictures I have the top of my biofalls covered with water hyacinth. With the plants and the uv my pond is now crystal clear. In these pictures the water is still a little murky. My uv had only been installed 24 hours in these photos.
IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

Ask a Question