j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Isn't that just the best feeling now @Big Lou and now you know exactly what to do next time,lol!
I'd prolly do some preventive measures so it doesn't go bad like that again. Every once in awhile I run clean water in while old water goes out. I have well water that I don't need to treat while I do that. I have an old pump I keep in the pond that slowly pumps the old water out and I turn the hose on and let the same amt of water flow in. Been doing that for years and it works good for me. Just make sure to check on it to see that all is flowing in and out and no clogs in the pump or you will have overflowing pond water and fish swimming down the road :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Glad to hear things are back to normal @Big Lou!

I do something similar to @j.w - during growing season, I drop a submersible pump in the pond and water all my pots and gardens with pond water. Then I'll put fresh water in the pond - same amount of water used, but the plants get the benefit of the pond water and the fish get the benefit of some fresh water. Win-win! I do that three or four times a month when I'm watering a lot. It makes for very slow watering, but I enjoy the time wandering around the garden.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You might try to cover it with a leaf net next fall , big Lou
It will keep most of leaves and needles out

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
We have a brand new net still in its package. We have so many birds and critters that drink from the pond I was concerned about them getting trapped plus the cypress needles are so small when they fall some would go through the net. Wish there was a way to a use the net without endangering wildlife. If you know of such let me know.

Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe if you raise the net up higher on posts or whatever the birds and critters can still walk under it. Don't let the sides drape down so they can't get tangled. Make it real tight across the the top so no slack. You could also use a really fine net for when the small stuff falls. Does it fall all year or just in winter?

Ask a Question