Cloudy pond water in winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In the photo you posted, the water looks pretty clear. What color are you seeing? Current pics? In my opinion, you need to turn your filtration back on, and never turn it off. Adding bacteria won’t help without filtration and biomass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6-7
Country
United States
In the photo you posted, the water looks pretty clear. What color are you seeing? Current pics? In my opinion, you need to turn your filtration back on, and never turn it off. Adding bacteria won’t help without filtration and biomass.
It's green like that of the spring algae bloom. I can't see my fish, even the 12 inch ones, unless they swim up top. Not usual for Feb in NJ. Thanks for the info regarding bacteria. I had a pipe burst in the winter 2 years ago due to a deep freeze and the pump nearly emptied my pond thus the fear of the winter filtration. The ice fell on the fish, thank goodness I had the pump up a foot pin a ledge or they would all be dead! A snowy/icy winter repair is very difficult. I'm thinking that in N. FL that is not a big issue. Pump is going out this weekend unload we have really bad weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Definitely not a problem in Florida, but I never turned off my pump when I lived in upstate NY either. In my limited experience, green water in the spring isn’t unusual, and will clear up as the pond plants begin to grow and suck up the extra nutrients.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is murky, more than normal. But we have been having a warm winter. I may turn the pond on earlier than normal. I need to finish up some fixes first. Redoing a waterfall, well two waterfalls.

Some loop pond edges etc.

Cleaning out the stream ponds. On and on

Ask a Question