Cloudy pond water in winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6-7
Country
United States
This is my second winter NOT using a waterfall. I had a pipe burst last year and decided to only use bubblers this year. I noticed 3 days ago that my pond water as become very cloudy. Temperatures varied from the 60's 2 weeks ago to the teens this week. I have never dealt with cloudy water in the winter. I have a koi pond of approx 1600 gallons with admittedly too many fish. I have been tending a pond for over 13 years, but did rebuild this one 2 years ago adding depth and wide, changing from a testy pressure filter to a waterfall filter. I have had a great increase in birds drinking from it this year as they can stand on the ice now to drink as the waterfall is off and only the bubblers are running. Could the bird droppings be causing fouling of the water? Is there a bacteria I need to add? Dare I do a water change in the winter? Any guidance would be appreciated!

Details of build:

1600 gal
approx 8 x 12 feet
greater depth 5 feet
Waterfall filter
4 bubblers
Southern New Jersey pine barrens

IMG_8276 smaller.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 HAS A LARGE POND WITH GOLD FISH THEY CONSUME A HECK OF A LOT LESS o2 THEN DOES KOI.{damn keyboad loves caps} I would not shut down o2 in a koi pond unless it too is huge with a limited bio load.

water changes with temps that are similar to each other can work. Or increase your filter system try using a wad of cotton or synthetic batting and have the water drain through that

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My pond also use to get cloudy at the bottom during winter. Since beginning to use a pond breather in addition to the air stone I don't have the problem anymore. The pond breather slightly recirculates the deeper water since the pump is 2 feet down while the air stone is only about 1 foot down.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine gets cloudy, (I turn all off) within a few days of turning things back on it clears up.
Yep shubunkins ie gold fish only. And under 100 fish after two years of snake attacks. I have loss a lot of fish, frogs etc. about 200 if not more. ( I bought 225 fish last year, added to my resident 80 ish fish) they are gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6-7
Country
United States
My pond also use to get cloudy at the bottom during winter. Since beginning to use a pond breather in addition to the air stone I don't have the problem anymore. The pond breather slightly recirculates the deeper water since the pump is 2 feet down while the air stone is only about 1 foot down.
Pond Breather? That is mew to me. Can it tolerate low temps to -5? Wee don't usiually get that cold here, but that is when my pipes burst 2 years ago.

Reaction score
Country
United States
1600 gallons with koi and no moving water... the last thing I'd worry about is how the water looks. How many fish do you have?
I was thinking the same thing as to no moving water I never turn off my pumps/waterfall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my second winter NOT using a waterfall. I had a pipe burst last year and decided to only use bubblers this year. I noticed 3 days ago that my pond water as become very cloudy. Temperatures varied from the 60's 2 weeks ago to the teens this week. I have never dealt with cloudy water in the winter. I have a koi pond of approx 1600 gallons with admittedly too many fish. I have been tending a pond for over 13 years, but did rebuild this one 2 years ago adding depth and wide, changing from a testy pressure filter to a waterfall filter. I have had a great increase in birds drinking from it this year as they can stand on the ice now to drink as the waterfall is off and only the bubblers are running. Could the bird droppings be causing fouling of the water? Is there a bacteria I need to add? Dare I do a water change in the winter? Any guidance would be appreciated!

Details of build:

1600 gal
approx 8 x 12 feet
greater depth 5 feet
Waterfall filter
4 bubblers
Southern New Jersey pine barrens

View attachment 155980
I live in an area that may get below -0 on a few occasions while experiencing several weeks of below freezing and never had the need to turn off my pumps/waterfalls. My 2,000 gallon pond iced over a foot deep this winter without any issues. Although you probably live in a much colder climate, I would consider a more conducive placement of my pipes. As for the cloudy water, I personally would take the wait and see approach rather than doing a water change.

Good Luck!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My 2,000 gallon pond iced over a foot deep this winter without any issues.
Our pond handles ice as well, but it really does come down to the details. A concave waterfall will manage ice dams and water flow being diverted better than a flatter waterfall for example. Plumbing issues can also make or break a winter pond.

But quite honestly, we didn't build our pond with the idea we would keep it running year round. The first winter we tried it we definitely held our breaths... and it was the winter of the Polar Vortex - 3rd coldest winter on record for our location. We got extremely lucky in many ways!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Pond Breather? That is mew to me. Can it tolerate low temps to -5? Wee don't usiually get that cold here, but that is when my pipes burst 2 years ago.
Unfortunately they have discontinued making them. It has gotten below 0 degrees here and the pond breather had no problem.
The white cage has a small pump that circulates the water up the top to the tube with a heating element to keep a hole in the ice.
1675763714803.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
With the birds drinking from your pond could introduce some parasites.

as for the water clarity this is the time of the year where water chemistry jumps back and forth before the bio filtration comes on line and stabilizes everything could be normal

for peace of mind do a water quality test Nitrate/ Nitrite / Ph test you'll most likely find one of these values out of wack.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6-7
Country
United States
Today I cannot see my fish. So I tested the water twice. All values are gh and kh 0, ph almost 7, nitrite 0, nitrate creeping a\up a bit to almost 30, but not bad considering the lack of my waterfall filter in winter. Temp is 65F today!!
pond is at 42F. Would it be feasible to add some beneficial bacteria now?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
THERE IS ONE BACTERIA FOR TEMPS THAT LOW . but it doesn't sound like bacteria is the problem but the filtration is more the suspect

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6-7
Country
United States
THERE IS ONE BACTERIA FOR TEMPS THAT LOW . but it doesn't sound like bacteria is the problem but the filtration is more the suspect
It is still February and here in NJ we often get 1-2 late deep cold snaps. I usually do not turn the filter on until late March or early April due to freezing temps. May start early this year as it has been a VERY warm winter. Only a few days forecast for below 32F but warming to >50F in the daytime.

Ask a Question