Cloudy water

Reaction score
So, yesterday my pond was looking a tiny bit cloudy, so I added the proper amount of water clarifier, which says it clears cloudy water and green algae water....but it immediately just made it even more cloudy...so now 24 hours later and it's still super cloudy.

What should I do?

It's a 1200 gallon pond btw.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I think some of those products are flocculants, so they bind smaller particles to become larger particles that can settle to the bottom, but before they settle, it can look more cloudy. But if it's bound and in suspension already, a water change can just take it out before it settles.,

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
First, you need to do your best to figure what the cause is of the murkiness. If this can not be found, then the murkiness may likely return soon after a water change.

Shared my thoughts on the thread, post#4, how to stop murkiness.

If water changes will not hit your pocket book too hard, then I would probably do an occasional 40% slow water change, that is spread throughout the day, until the water clears. My post#11, in the high KH thread, explains better as to the various options available for water changes so that they do not stress your fish.

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
I second the quilt batting. I have tried the clairfiers a few times with very little luck, but the batting works like a charm and I dont feel like it messes with my chemistry.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried that stuff in my first pond and had no luck either and for the money the quilt batting goes a long way .I keep it in a basket in both filters all the time and just put a piece or 2 of furnace filter on top .The furnace filter picks up the big stuff and the quilt batting the fine stuff ad I have a basket in the center of both my stock tanks .I just put the pump in a basket with holes drilled in and lava rock around pump a piece of extended hose on the pump out let and hose goes up through the center of one of those plastic crates and filter stuff just goes around hose .I don't put the prefilter foam on the pump ,just the cage goes on it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
filter and how I did it in the center of the stock tank and then pond filter

Attachments

• pond filters 2013 001.JPG
    pond filters 2013 001.JPG