Cold weather and Fancy Goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I live in Wisconsin and we do get cold. I have left mine in, and each year I loose a couple, but I have no where to go with them. I do have a couple that have been 4 years. I use a cattle tank heater to keep a hole in the ice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the real deal about keeping fancy goldfish in a very cold pond in the winter. Let me know. Please RDK
Dear RDK,
This is my first time wintering 2 fantail goldfish about 4 inches long and pretty chubby with koi. Did yours do fine? should I try to bring them inside?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have one fantail in my pond. I am in zone 5. First couple of winters he did fine. Last winter I brought him in the basement with a couple of pals as he was in some distress. This year after all the mild temps we have been having, we had a quick very cold few days with 6 inches of snow. The pond got cold fast. About a week later it warmed up enough to melt the ice layer and I finally got a good look in the pond. He was upside down on the bottom. Filled a bucket with water, scooped him up, and took him to the basement. Put an airstone in the bucket and let it slowly warm up to room temp. (my basement is only semi finished and stays cool) He is now doing fine. Guess he will be staying in the basement again this winter.

Reaction score
I am in northern Delaware and have kept fantails in my pond the last 3 winters and have not lost one yet due to cold. I made a wood frame and lay it over the pond to hold a cover up out of the water for when it snows. I also use a bubbler to keep surface from freezing over completely. Fish don't seem to mind .

Ask a Question