Concrete vs liner

Reaction score
I don't know if you noticed that you got to completely different answers about how concrete effects the water. One says it's very acidic, one says it's very alkaline. That is the nature of getting help in forums like this, and that's just the beginning.
Constructing a concrete pond that won't heave and crack in cold winter conditions can actually be pretty challenging. Meyers is correct that it takes considerable labor and materials. To do it right you'll probably spend more on rebar alone then you would on a liner, never mind all the concrete and sealer. And if it isn't designed quite right and the pond develops a crack after a particularly cold winter, I guarantee you are gona regret not going with the much easier, versatile and forgiving liner route.
That being said, there are plenty of concrete ponds in existence, especially old ponds, alkalinity leaching is really only a problem in the first month or so until the concrete has had a chance to cure.
I've built concrete ponds before, and in fact, I work with cement every day, but I firmly believe that liners are the way to go, especially for those with little or no experience. Ask yourself why almost all swimming pools now days are installed in backyards using liners rather than concrete construction? Both require careful planning, but only one is a lot more forgiving of errors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I had 2 concrete ponds long time ago when i was teen , one was cracked from roots or got old so i was using other one it had 14 inch thick walls although after several years i could see some cracks still but didnt leak asfar as i know , it dsnt have any effect on fish , u need to treat it for some months with just water and draining it few times then algae coats and makes it better for fishes , you can enjoy it as pool too and can be made very large , we also used it for watering garden and veg as it was raised above . it will be better if you apply a water proofing coat .

problems u can have are cracks after few years if not built properly as ground sets other challenge is making it look beautiful to merge in your garden , usually concrete ponds dont look natural if you like natural look and it needs to be raised a bit above ground , another disadvantage is you cant change its shape or extend or reduce it , u cant transfer it to new house as liner , hiding the border is difficult and will need to create shelves if you want plants rocks , cost will be double or 3 times more then liner

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
All good points @Usman. I think the two that would dissuade me the most are the cracking/heaving issues and the permanence. A liner pond would be easier to expand, easier to repair, easier to move to a new location and yes, easier to remove if you ever needed/wanted to get rid of the pond. Concrete is none of those.

My mother-in-law had three small "ponds" (really they were fountains with large basins, but she called them her ponds) and insisted on concrete basins. She had them repaired every single year and not a year went by that they didn't leak like a sieve. Winters in the mid-west are just too hard on concrete with the freezing and thawing that we get all season long. She tried every product and method that was recommended to her over the years - nothing lasted more than a few months. We suggested EPDM liners year after year - she deemed them "tacky" and wouldn't consider it. Consequently she had water in her "ponds" for a few weeks and by mid-June she would give up and they would stand empty the rest of the summer. Actually they would hold just enough water to breed mosquitoes, so that was pretty!

Reaction score
My fiancé works for a concrete company now and has made plans for this coming summer to dig (has backhoe & excavator lined up) and build me a bigger pond made of concrete. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions that might help me with this new endeavor??? Only have a few months to plan for this!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Have you considered finding a fiancé who works for Firestone or a roofing company? ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Have you considered finding a fiancé who works for Firestone or a roofing company? ;)

HAHA!! He's a long-time carpenter too.....has access to roofing material also! I've had him almost 10yr so I think I'm stuck with him lol:LOL:

Oh dear now we pick men by the access to liners .:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HAHA!! That's funny:D

Thank you all for the responses. Like I said before, looks like I have a lot of thinking to do. Putting the liner in my current 900 gal pond was a pain in the butt. Can't imagine the pain it would be putting a bigger liner into a bigger hole. :wtf:

After looking at the inside of the new house this weekend, there's lots to be done. There's no way we'll get to working on the outside anytime soon, so this gives me plenty of time to think. Again, thanks for all of your input. I always learn so much reading everything.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is not that bad .I am 63 years old and did it by myself .It was a 20x25 liner ,which turned out to be bigger when I measured it .I was a little surprised it was bigger than I paid for and of course the hole got bigger also ..I rolled it out on the lawn and measured it and then when it warmed up I folded it like you would fold a pie crust and set it in the middle of the pond and unfolded one side and then the other .With help it would have been easier .I also made the pond bigger so to me the digging was the hardest since the soil was clay and shale .I have done this 4 times and it has gotten bigger each time .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
It is not that bad .I am 63 years old and did it by myself .It was a 20x25 liner ,which turned out to be bigger when I measured it .I was a little surprised it was bigger than I paid for and of course the hole got bigger also ..I rolled it out on the lawn and measured it and then when it warmed up I folded it like you would fold a pie crust and set it in the middle of the pond and unfolded one side and then the other .With help it would have been easier .I also made the pond bigger so to me the digging was the hardest since the soil was clay and shale .I have done this 4 times and it has gotten bigger each time .
its the most exciting part yet complicated, i must have done several times measurement of every angle and calculations so much still until u place it u have no idea lol its strange , best way is to place it then add some water in it then its easy to get an idea andplace it .dont worry for extra fit u can always fold it but i was worried if its short

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep I rolled out one side at a time and once I saw the liner as good on the one side then i started on the other end .I wanted enough for the waterfall pond and up to under the filter ,Then on top of that I put a piece of pvc liner that went under the filter tank and up the sides .I had extra so at least I did not run short .I always hope this is the last time but it is never that way

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Yep I rolled out one side at a time and once I saw the liner as good on the one side then i started on the other end .I wanted enough for the waterfall pond and up to under the filter ,Then on top of that I put a piece of pvc liner that went under the filter tank and up the sides .I had extra so at least I did not run short .I always hope this is the last time but it is never that way
aha nice , great job ur very fit , what type of underlay u have and how thick is ur linner . i wonder how hard it could be to install linner in winters .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used roofing paper first all left from the build of the house since roofer did not know I wanted ice and water shield instead of roofing paper and then underlayment sent to me from a pond builder and 45 mil epdm .I installed mine in March I think .I started in Feb.,but sun was out nice and warm the day I did the liner .Before we had 1 snow storm and then after that 2 more before I got fish in .I had moles chew my old liner and time before that a dog sliced my other 45 mil liner so I have not had the best luck with liners .AHH but I am not getting any younger and it does not get easier .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I used roofing paper first all left from the build of the house since roofer did not know I wanted ice and water shield instead of roofing paper and then underlayment sent to me from a pond builder and 45 mil epdm .I installed mine in March I think .I started in Feb.,but sun was out nice and warm the day I did the liner .Before we had 1 snow storm and then after that 2 more before I got fish in .I had moles chew my old liner and time before that a dog sliced my other 45 mil liner so I have not had the best luck with liners .AHH but I am not getting any younger and it does not get easier .
aw its ok u can ask ur relatives friends or neighbours to help u next time , i have very thick linner around 75 to 95 mil pvc , the seller said nothing can damage it even roots or rocks , so it didnt need any underlay that was advantage but i did places some old things under it cardboard newspapers and plastic to secure it from salts and minerals mainly , i need to extend my pond soon this or next year i was thinking to reduce its quality for cost as this linner was a bit more expensive then 45mil , i will need to plan alot so i can use the old one in some manner too either connect them or place it smwhere else

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used pieces of my old liner under my filters this way if they leak or over flow it runs back into my pond.One less worry
100_9916.JPG

Ask a Question