Considering major changes and need opinions

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Current filtration is good once window boxes get going. My main reason for the change is to get a cover over the pond. It is on the edge of a wooded area. I have started plants in the window boxes this week so the green water should clear soon. The stock tank will work as a bog but give me less square footage than the window boxes. Skippy currently has spring-flo and matala media on the top. The green water in the spring is the issue, have 2 UVs that I'm currently giving away. Looking to go bog as I have one on my other pond and it works great. Just don't want to do away with a filter and have water quality issues.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, this whole project just got scrapped! We have been clearing out the area around the ponds and in doing a close inspection, found structural issues with the pond. We had some bowing out of the walls but it has gotten really bad this winter to the point, I'm not sure how long before complete wall failure.
So now, instead of new filter and bog, I am working on getting the water cleared and finding homes for my koi, some of which I have had 12+ years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, this whole project just got scrapped! We have been clearing out the area around the ponds and in doing a close inspection, found structural issues with the pond. We had some bowing out of the walls but it has gotten really bad this winter to the point, I'm not sure how long before complete wall failure.
So now, instead of new filter and bog, I am working on getting the water cleared and finding homes for my koi, some of which I have had 12+ years.
Pond build time! If only I could take some koi from you, and had my pond done, I totally would. But yes, it sounds like that pond needs a structural remodel. Could you shift fish around to be able to keep your koi? Maybe a liner in a big container to keep your goldfish or small koi so the big ones can have your other pond?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A pond rebuild is not possible. I did most of the work on this one as hubby had his shoulder rebuilt that summer. The pond is 100' from the house, steep hill, no access for equipment which is why we built above ground. I don't think I could shift these guys to the other pond. They are used to the deep water- 5 1/2'. I have a couple of my koi customers who have very large ponds who I'm sure can take some but its going to kill me to have to let them go.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww bummer. That is so sad Mrsclem. If I did koi I would pick some up to help you out.
I can understand not being able to rebuild, I would probably never do again what I did to build this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m trying to build a new pond. $ is killing me! Plus all the other projects we need to get done. I’m outvoted. The other projects do kind of need to come first, but man, I want to just get it done and set up!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Still nursing the pond along. Dropped the water level, set up 55 gallon barrel as a replacement filter and moved stock tank to use as a bog. I kept 4 window box bogs and of course the 800 gallon pump I had running them up and quit. Was able to find a 880gph for $26 on Amazon. The water is still pea soup but is starting to clear a little with the filters being cleaned.
Our to-do list for this spring is ridiculous and this is not helping. Hubby's on vacation so I'm not having to kill myself too bad. I totally envy all you pond owners who have nice level yards!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, I still have my koi in the pond but lowered the water level and am keeping a close eye on the structure. I did get the stock tank bog done. I realized after I went to move the tank that it is the one that had cracked and leaked several years ago so kept the weight of the media light by using plastic and lava rock with just a small amount of pea gravel. Less than 1 month planted and its doing great. Water clear, fish happy.
048.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@mrsclem so your bog pipes push water over the top and into the bottom? That way you don't have to put a hole in the bottom and make sure it does not leak. I could do that!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Both of my bogs have pipes that bring water in to a down pipe to supply the bog. My ponds are above ground so my situation is unusual. Don't like cutting holes in liner.

Ask a Question