could/should I add a bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a small pond and loose a couple inches every couple of days; hot hot days I’ll loose that much in an afternoon. I notice that as the water level drops I will start to loose less and I am guessing that I am loosing a fair amount to wicking as well, the folds in the liner are always wet an inch or 2 above the water level. I bought a cheap water timer and have a plan to have it come on for an hour or 2 every day once we get into the steady 90’s. I use a small sprinkler to fill my pond now, get tired of standing around holding the hose. I have to aerator the water because it is toxically high in free iron. Aerating turns it into cheated iron instantly which is safe and my plants get watered at the same time.
I like hearing this. It’s my 3rd summer now with the pond and I still freak out when I see a noticeable water loss. I’m in Iowa. It’s windy, humid, and hot. I’ve got lots of folds and now lots of plants. I need to learn to expect water loss....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have no folds that cause issues, (pond does not lose any water in the winter) but summer different story. Between the bog, the plants, the wind, the sun I can lose 3-4 inches in a few days. My hot tub pond, zero way to leak, loses about 2 inches every 4-5 days. Depends on the heat and the wind.

I set up a irrigation system timer, it comes on and puts in 1 hour of water every day. If not needed it just runs out. We are on a well so not harmed by a water bill.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've noticed in the summer I lose about an inch of water every other day. I attribute a lot of it due to a high waterfall that splashes on the surrounding rock and evaporating. Every year I worry about the water loss the pond is experiencing and then I read other peoples comments and it always makes me feel better.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I start losing water as soon as the bog plants start to grow, as soon as it is hot/warm and the wind blows. The bog has a huge surface area.
I used to worry, now just check the few places I know can give me a issue (water outlets from the the other ponds) and if they are ok I don't worry. Once I turn the stream on I lose more, the small stream ponds sit during the day losing water and refilled when I run the pump. They lose water due to plants using it up and evaporation.

I start with around 15 minutes of water, mid summer I am up to around 1/2 to 1 hour of water added every day. All auto fed via a irrigation system.

The deer have caused a few issues, on the down slope side of the small ponds, a wall and dirt built up to hold that side. They have walked on the edge, knocking down rocks and the liner and boy does that water run out fast! I have reinforced it again, see if it works this time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Shhhh.....don’t jinx it, but I think something is happening....Years of green water. Maybe a week each year in November of clear water. Put the bog in over a month ago. Even the bog water was green. The past few days......no green! It’s not crystal clear. But the rocks you can see in the pics are about a foot below the surface. Could almost never see them this spring/summer (or ever!). Now I can see fish swimming below that shelf! It ain’t perfect, but I like a little mystery in my pond! Thanks for all the advice and help in this thread!
CB2B2B72-0E53-4A74-A16B-19B9FCAE6692.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So the whole week, even the last few days of 90s and full sun and I have no green water! Super happy! But next question....this layer of brown dirt in the bog and the shallow plant shelves, should I somehow clean it? My water is pretty cloudy/dark. And this stuff stirs up big time of you even look at it.....
55197894-6958-489A-8325-95AA7056CD79.jpeg
78B22D15-608A-4225-9BC5-9212FE777281.jpeg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine always has that stuff, not quite that type of layer but dirt on top. You could turn off your pump, if you have a way to lower a edge you could take a hose and spray it out into the yard.

Anytime I work in the bog the stuff flows into the pond and within a bit the pond water is back to crystal clear normal. I used to worry about it then decided why.

Some take quilt batting and run water through it to clear the water.

Ask a Question