Cover for fry?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Just wondering, I only have 11 goldies in my pond. (3000 gal). Hoping to have babies this year to increase the herd.
I only had 1 surviving fry from last years spawn. Still alive and well. I did not have any submerged plants in my pond last year. Had lilies and WH. So what would be a good way to ensure more fry surviving this year? I do want to add some hornwort. But how to keep the eggs from all getting ate? Or should I leave well enough alone? I know I should be careful what I wish for right? Could be overrun with fry. :)
Maybe some from last year got sucked into my pump??

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So what would be a good way to ensure more fry surviving this year? I do want to add some hornwort.

Hornwort is what kept my fry safe. I would always see them around it when they were first found. Now the three that survived the summer pretty much hang out with the rest of the fish. They're all around 2" now and have tons of color. Can't wait to see them grow up! (at the same time, I'm worried we'll get more this year and I have no more space)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Parrots feather is another useful aquatic plant, by spreading emerged slightly, it shades and moderates water temperatures

Floating a large plastic bag and isolating plants with eggs on where you can exclude predators is doable, a fish nursery in effect. Dragonfly larvae are the most dastardly threat to tiddlers

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some people hang a cotton mop into the pond, makes a great place for the fish to lay their eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ok will add ancharis to my plant list. :)
Addy and Diesel I may try taking some eggs out if I can find some before they get eaten. Read on here somewhere where someone ties yarn onto a bobber or a cork and floats it. Maybe I should just try the submerged plants and let nature takes its course. :) Don't want to end up with tons of babies.
Oh Adavisis I did have some parrots feather in the pond last year. Love that plant. Don't know if it survived the winter. I have a clump laying on the bottom of the pond. May have to replace.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you sure they are not hiding I gave like 20 babies away and thought that was the end and searched the pond real hard for more .3 weeks later I found 4 more gave them away and then when pond started to leak i found 7 more .Plus your fish that are bigger may eat the tiny ones .I kept catching my babies and put them in a stock tank with a small pump and aerator hose .You can get pieces of black ABS pipe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sissy I'm pretty sure there are no more babies. The one fry from last year is about 1 1/2 inches long. No sign of any others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Not sure what that grass is timvz. Will have to look it up.

Ask a Question