Cover for the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
During the late spring and all summer the pond has lots of hyacinth for cover but once they are removed when they die off what do you folks suggest for a cover for the fish to help protect them from predators?
Thanks, John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a large, flat rock ,raised on stones in the deepest part of my pond.....like a cave. I also netted my pond for the season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I bought a knotted golf netting for my raised pond to ward off the greedy heron.

I was going to look for a 6" PVC drain pipe with holes in it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My fish like to hang out under the plants that bend over in the water like the sedges and rush type plants. I might put a floating piece of liner in there like addy has but w/my net covering the pond my fish are safe from the heron. I did have a big floating ring w/ Azolla in it at one time that they liked hanging under and I might just throw that back in for the winter just as a place for them to be a bit warmer if that even helps at all w/ that. I don't know if that's true or not. Did we all decide that it is warmer down below towards the bottom of the pond? Think we had a discussion on here once about that but not sure if it was ever proven.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I THINK that is known as "stratification" when the water is warmer at the bottom. I've read so many articles, but remain confused, as it seems you have to have a certain depth for that to be occur...something deeper than our fish ponds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's quite the controversy it seems from all the past chatting we have done here on it. Just glad I live in a pretty mild climate so I don't need to worry about it too much.

Ask a Question