Crazy amount of misquitos?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
i thought the misquitoes would be taken care of by the fish? Soooo many, any way to help keep them away?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good point, @Lisak1 Yes, @alice, your fish will only take care of the larvae that are in the pond (and mosquitoes don't usually lay in "active" water -- they prefer still water). Be sure you don't have anything lying around in the yard that collects water -- mosquitoes will lay their eggs in still, stagnant water, even very small pools. And of course, you can't control what your neighbors do, or if there are any other ponds or stagnant waters in the area.

By day, mosquitoes hang out in shrubs around the yard -- I never knew that. Are there a lot of shrubs in your yard?

Sometimes, before I dump out a "mosquito farm," I'll net the larvae and feed them to the pond fish -- just swish the net in the pond water -- the fish go crazy over them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm still a little confused - you skim your pond everyday? And you find lots of mosquitoes in your pond? Or you have lots of mosquitoes in your yard and thought the fish would take care of them? Because unless you teach your fish to patrol your yard, they can only deal with the larvae that hatches in the water. And quite honestly, a pond as small as yours would have little affect on the mosquito population one way or another.

If the surface of your water is moving, the mosquitoes won't choose it as a place to lay their eggs. Like @Mmathis suggested - check your yard for any sources of standing, stagnant water and eliminate them. Even a shallow puddle or a bucket with a small amount of rainwater can be a mosquito nursery. But there's really only so much you can do to eliminate mosquitoes. In Illinois we jokingly refer to the mosquito as our state bird.

We have actually found that the dragonflies that are attracted to our pond do a great job of controlling the mosquito population - whenever we have a surge of mosquitoes, we see a resultant influx of dragonflies.

Ask a Question