Crazy weather...cold then warm... my poor fish

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We've been having low 40's at night and it was almost 70 today! Supposed to have some below freezing nights next week. I spotted one of my box turtles out today. I'll have to check on him tomorrow to make sure he digs in again before the temps drop. I know animals survive like this all the time in the wild, but when we change & control their environments, I can't help but worry about them!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
55 today, 23 last night, who knows what tonight............

Reaction score
Crazy weather, you bet! Thanksgiving Day it was 70-72°F, last night it was 4°F! This weekend, we are supposed to get snow, 1-2 inches to 12-14 inches! Now for a weather forecaster, that's covering your spread!

I have an excellent long term forecasting method and I don't require any computers to be accurate. I am extremely accurate, better than most meteorologists.

Here is my local area (long term or winter forecast) for Nebraska as well as the rest of the states north of the 50th parallel. If I am correct, someone ought to pay me.

Gordy's forecast: This winter will be much colder and we will recieve much more snow than we did last summer!

:)

Well, I am right already, ain't I?

Ha Ha Ha

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing! no kidding.............. 55 yesterday.......23 this am............pond 38 degrees............today the pump is being pulled.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your right for sure but geeze I am hoping the weather is not as bad this year in VA .I was thinking I was having an affair with my snow shovel during last winter .Every time it melted half way we would get more snow .I don't mind cold I just don't like the snow that comes with it .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Heavy frost here, low 20's last night. Sun trying to poke out today. Bit of ice on parts of the pond. Fish asking for hot cider and gloves,lol!

Reaction score
Thanksgiving day was 70-72°F here. December 2nd it got down to 4°F. Today it is 32-34°F and snowing. Probably received 6 inches so far and it is still snowing. Nice snow, though. This is one of those snowfalls that you appreciate (no wind, not gelid). This is the kind of snow that sticks to the tops of fenceposts and builds up really tall, making for neat winter scenery. Perfect snowball weather!

Gordy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
gotchasnowball11.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pulled our pump today, half the pond was slightly iced over, where the water was still. Got the air bubbling away.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been holding out shutting mine down as the weather is barely getting below freezing at night. This is the latest I have kept it going. WIll probably shut it down sometime this week.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Still in the 60's here so maybe, hopefully a milder winter .Nights in the 30's and some even 40's

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
heading back up to 57 monday..........sigh...........oh well pump is pulled and put away.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know we are supposed to get a cold rain monday so the temps will go down after that

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
although we have gotten a few frosty nights and some light freezing over the last week the pond temps are still hanging in the upper 40's to mid 50's. Fish are still very active and today I fed a little wheat germ pellet. They came up and ate but not agressively. Unless the water warms up more I won't feed anymore for a while. Pumps still running but most of the Taro's and Thalia all look pretty much done for this year. Crossing my fingers when they start up next year they will be at the new house! Just hoping we can get a offer made, close and get started moving PLUS get a new Temp. pond dug before the water starts warming so I can start it cycling as soon as the temps warm up enough to do so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Mike, how cold does it get in PA where you live? I was wondering about leaving my waterfall and skimmer running as long as possible. If the waterfall starts to freeze, of course, I will shut it all down (before that point actually) and unhook the pump and just keep it running shooting the water straight up to the surface, keep the water moving and open. Also have a heater to float if necessary to keep open area. I don't plan to pull or stop anything until I have to. My filter will be very easy to drain when I'm ready to shut down the waterfall, and the pump is just a matter of pull it up, unhook the pipe, lay pipe on the ground to drain out and pull skimmer out and unhook it. Takes all of one screwdriver and maybe 10 minutes total to get that done. :)

Ask a Question