Creating more oxygen in the pond misinformation

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Social media amazes me! There are so many EXPERTS, but very few people who use common sense…… and science!

This was a post on a recent FB pond group. I don’t recall the topic, but it was having to do with the heat and improving oxygen levels in the water. Most of the advice was good, but this answer caught my eye and I had to comment! It’s one thing to have an opinion (some things work better than others), but to deny a basic principle of science….geesh!
IMG_7139.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
FB groups... Ugh.. Constantly seeing Koi in little puddles people are calling ponds... hard to keep quiet sometimes.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FB groups... Ugh.. Constantly seeing Koi in little puddles people are calling ponds... hard to keep quiet sometimes.
Yes, especially when the moderators say to “keep comments nice, and make this a learning, educational site.” There are a LOT of people out there with the right ideas, but they don’t know how to say what they mean in a constructive way! Instead of “your pond is too d____ small for koi!” Maybe use a different approach…..like explaining WHY the pond might to too small for koi, getting into a little bit of science. I have learned most of what I know from GPF: not only the WHAT to say but the HOW TO SAY IT, but I’ve learned how to UNDERSTAND how my pond works and what to do to keep it healthy. We see folks on here all the time who come with a problem (usually easily fixable), but who just don’t “get it,” and want to argue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You know I don't.
Yeah more and more people a building puddles and calling it a pond. Call it what ever you like just keep it stocked properly . If you have a 300 gallon tub don't even think about koi.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I guess part of the problem with Facebook groups is that they typically have many thousands of members, so there's always going to be someone spouting nonsense. On the other hand, every now and then, you find one that caters to more educated / educable people. Those can be very useful, but you have to wade through a lot of less helpful ones to find the rare good one. I've pretty much stopped posting on any or the ones where the nonsense outweighs the useful advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Social media amazes me! There are so many EXPERTS, but very few people who use common sense…… and science!

This was a post on a recent FB pond group. I don’t recall the topic, but it was having to do with the heat and improving oxygen levels in the water. Most of the advice was good, but this answer caught my eye and I had to comment! It’s one thing to have an opinion (some things work better than others), but to deny a basic principle of science….geesh!View attachment 159504
To be fair, the photos on the post I saw with a similar comment (possibly this exact post) had a trickle like someone was taking a pee and the drop was only 3". So. Yeah. Not doing much.

The waterfall being discussed (which was the ONLY source of flow/oxygenation):
20230803_114548.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Phaewryn I honestly don’t recall if they posted a picture. It was a general inquiry on how to introduce more oxygen, but could be the same one. I want to say, they were somewhere hot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
@Phaewryn I honestly don’t recall if they posted a picture. It was a general inquiry on how to introduce more oxygen, but could be the same one. I want to say, they were somewhere hot.
My recommendation on the post I saw was a much bigger pump. I did post a link to an aerator too I think, on the chance a bigger pump wasn't in their budget.

Ask a Question