Pond Breather Creating Ice Cone

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a pond breather for my first pond winter and it now has created an ice cone almost to the top of the tube. It’s working as I see water moving inside. I’ve seen other similar posts but nothing about how to fix - did I not put the top on correctly or is this just something that happens with all pond breathers in really cold climates like MN? My concern is this will continue to displace water from my pond beneath formed ice to top of ice

Attachments

• 7BF69377-17DD-4C84-BDC2-56BB6BAF8D92.jpeg
    7BF69377-17DD-4C84-BDC2-56BB6BAF8D92.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 156

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As long as the water is flowing inside the tube, it should be fine. The black tube is a 40w heater that keeps the water from freezing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water is definitely moving...just don’t understand how this ice cone is forming if there’s not coming from top cap/or it’s functioning properly. Guess we’ll see...really cold temps won’t be here for several weeks.
Appreciate the feedback

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've had that happen before, nothing bad has come from it. I am surprised by how much of your breather is under ice, though as long as the top is exposed it should be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Which part of MN? I’ve got an uncle that recently moved from Grand Rapids ND to Grand Rapids MN, same town just different state! Lol. And I used to live up north of Duluth as a kid. God I miss the pines, and the wild blue berries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
It looks like part of the heating element is outside the tube, mine is all inside the tube. I think it should be inside the tube but hard to change it now until spring.
Wonder if this makes the difference.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, appreciate the feedback on what you did. Instructions clearly reference hearing cord outside gas exchange tube so I didn’t change anything with how I received it pre assembled in package. Yours is a good tip however and I do feel this is related to cold temps we experience in MN that is created some type of freezing and overflow from the cap or bubbling up from below the base and belching water up thru the center of this ice cone to cause the cone to continue to grow. Earlier in winter when it was doze in light ice I would see a big air bubble come from below the base to the ice surface around the base. Regardless, thanks again and if this makes it thru the next 2 months I’ll retrofit it to what you have for next winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, appreciate the feedback on what you did. Instructions clearly reference hearing cord outside gas exchange tube so I didn’t change anything with how I received it pre assembled in package. Yours is a good tip however and I do feel this is related to cold temps we experience in MN that is created some type of freezing and overflow from the cap or bubbling up from below the base and belching water up thru the center of this ice cone to cause the cone to continue to grow. Earlier in winter when it was doze in light ice I would see a big air bubble come from below the base to the ice surface around the base. Regardless, thanks again and if this makes it thru the next 2 months I’ll retrofit it to what you have for next winter
I agree with Ronfire; wire should be inside the largest tube. Pic below show this;

api-8pb-pond-breather-heated-aerator-40-watts-B000HHM9U0-800x800.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question