Critters in the pump area

Reaction score
I have a question to all ponders out there, my pond has a pump area which has a weir and I have found many critters (frogs, salamander, etc.) in this area however I have removed 3 dead salamanders which have gotten their tails sucked in the pump intake and cannot get out and drown. Also, there is a massive bullfrog in this pump area, he can't get to the pump area due to the net but I don't think he can get back out to the pond proper. In addition, there are a lot of frog eggs in the pump area and when these tadpoles hatch will probably be sucked into the pump as they will have to "fight the current" of the inflow to the pump basin. Having painted this picture, anybody have any suggestions, cures or insight into what I should do? Also, should I relocate the bullfrog back to the pond proper? Thanks in advance, I just hate to see my pond life die unnecessarily.

Larry

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I assume by 'pump area' you mean the skimmer? This should be checked daily, and any trapped fauna returned to the pond. Cutting back on the pump flow may help to reduce the number of animals drawn into the skimmer.
John

Reaction score
I assume by 'pump area' you mean the skimmer? This should be checked daily, and any trapped fauna returned to the pond. Cutting back on the pump flow may help to reduce the number of animals drawn into the skimmer.
John

Thanks John, being a newbie to the pump world, I don't know the terminology so I'll just explain it. There is a plastic tub dug into the ground in which sits the pump and a net and brushes. This arrangement has an overflow which is obviously at pond water level but has a door that allows water in and moves with the water inflow (very little opening with a full pond and pretty wide open with less pond volume). I'm not sure what a "skimmer" is but my pond has a dedicated area for the pump and this is connected by a moveable weir. I don't know if animals are drawn into this area or seek it out as a grotto. My issue is; can they get back out or should I take measures to keep them out. I talked with the pump/pond company and they were no help so I sought help from fellow ponders. I will also visit my local pond shops to persue this but wanted to get some opinions from those that have been there and also establish a relationship with those that have done this for years. Thanks for your patience with this tyro and will let you know what happens.

Larry

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Fire a couple of photos into your next post on this subject. A picture says a thousand words, so the saying goes......

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Larry; The box you are describing is called a 'skimmer', because it skims a shallow layer of water off the top of the pond. The floating, pivoted waterway is designed to take only about 1/8" of water off the top, ensuring that floating objects (leaves, seeds, etc.) are drawn into the skimmer. If the layer of moving water is too thick, the actual speed of the surface water drops, and less floating waste is drawn in. The pump usually sits in the rear of the skimmer box, but some smaller units use an external pump which draws water from the skimmer through a hose. Frogs have a tendency to use the skimmer as a grotto to hide in, and can usually get out if they want to. Small fish or amphibians may get too close and be drawn in by the current. Many times people will think that a fish got pulled in and died, but often as not the fish was already dead, or almost so, and the skimmer was simply doing its job. Placing some kind of mesh in front of the intake may keep your animals out, but then the skimmer can't do its designed job. If you can place a valve after the pump to slow down the flow, this may also help. BTW, there is usually e net in the opening to catch the floating debris, and some skimmers have brushes or some other media to act as a pre-filter.
John

Reaction score
Attached is my set up and the problem lies in critters getting into the pump basin (where obviously the pump is) and my worry is how do they get out. Already removed 3 salamanders that were trapped in the pump intake and found a large frog (hand size) in this "grotto". Need advice as to 1) what to do to fix this situation and 2) what would keep this from happening in the future. Many thanks for your input, I have attached pics to delineate the issue.

Attachments

• pond pic.jpeg
    pond pic.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 249
Reaction score
Larry; The box you are describing is called a 'skimmer', because it skims a shallow layer of water off the top of the pond. The floating, pivoted waterway is designed to take only about 1/8" of water off the top, ensuring that floating objects (leaves, seeds, etc.) are drawn into the skimmer. If the layer of moving water is too thick, the actual speed of the surface water drops, and less floating waste is drawn in. The pump usually sits in the rear of the skimmer box, but some smaller units use an external pump which draws water from the skimmer through a hose. Frogs have a tendency to use the skimmer as a grotto to hide in, and can usually get out if they want to. Small fish or amphibians may get too close and be drawn in by the current. Many times people will think that a fish got pulled in and died, but often as not the fish was already dead, or almost so, and the skimmer was simply doing its job. Placing some kind of mesh in front of the intake may keep your animals out, but then the skimmer can't do its designed job. If you can place a valve after the pump to slow down the flow, this may also help. BTW, there is usually e net in the opening to catch the floating debris, and some skimmers have brushes or some other media to act as a pre-filter.
John

Thanks John- I think I understand the dynamics of the set up my problem is with the critters that get into the skimmer box. Can they get out (i.e. my big ass bull frog) or do I need to lend a helping hand as the skimmer opening is far less than the width of the frog. If it's cool for him to hang in the skimmer grotto-great just don't know the dynamics as I would hate if he was trapped. I really appreciate your time and patience and I will definitely pay it forward. One other thing is that we will be introducing fish and water plants into the pond this Spring so want to know that this issue will not adversely affect them. Again, thanks for your advice and counsel.

Larry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Maybe you could try removing the frog and see if he continues to return. If he does keep returning, my guess is it's by choice. As long as he isn't sucked under water, unable to draw air, he will not drown. As the weather warms, he'll probably chosse to be outside looking for bugs at night and soaking up sun shine by day.

I've had frogs drown in my pool skimmer, as it's too strong a current for them to keep their heads up for air.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'd imagine that Mr. Frog isn't crazy about chlorine or salt water, either.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Someone on here posted a picture of a modified skimmer, just a few (maybe 3) pencil-sized bars across the opening of the weir, maybe 1/2" apart. Could you try that?
John

Reaction score
Maybe you could try removing the frog and see if he continues to return. If he does keep returning, my guess is it's by choice. As long as he isn't sucked under water, unable to draw air, he will not drown. As the weather warms, he'll probably chosse to be outside looking for bugs at night and soaking up sun shine by day.

I've had frogs drown in my pool skimmer, as it's too strong a current for them to keep their heads up for air.

Tula-

Thanks for the input, this sucker is bigger than my fist (and I'm a big guy) and seems quite happy in his "grotto" but I don't think he can get his fat frog butt out through the skimmer without help. I will remove him into the pond proper and see what happens. Thanks so much for your advice as this pump thing is new to me. Our old pond was just that a pond so these issues are making my life a little crazy especially after losing 3 salamanders to tail-pump syndrome.

Reaction score
Someone on here posted a picture of a modified skimmer, just a few (maybe 3) pencil-sized bars across the opening of the weir, maybe 1/2" apart. Could you try that?
John

John-

That sounds like a great approach and will try that but methinks that will abrogate the function of the skimmer to skim off the leaves and floating debris. I'm surprised that this issue has not come up before but thanks to all that are trying to save my pond critters, we all thank you.

Ask a Question