morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Someone on here posted a picture of a modified skimmer, just a few (maybe 3) pencil-sized bars across the opening of the weir, maybe 1/2" apart. Could you try that?
John

That's sounds like a good idea. Drill some holes through the weir and drop some stainless steel bolts through the holes. Keep them far enough apart that the frog doesn't fit, but leaves and debris can get sucked through the openings. A screen would negate the whole purpose of a skimmer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am not sure if John meant my post but I put to rods across my skimmer. I used them for the larger fish would get into the skimmer. I put them so debris would still get buy and through them. I put them against the rocks in front of the weir not against the weir at all. This worked great for the fish. I still get a frog here or there but I just check the skimmer daily and remove them back to the pond when it happens. I have had a bigger problem with the tree frogs going into the skimmer for warmth at night and they would get sucked down into the pump side. What I did there was cut a piece of wire mesh and made a cover for the pump side and for the filter side. It worked well. I have not had anything die in the skimmer since I did the mods to it.
IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks, RobAmy. Yup, that's the picture. I thought that was pretty ingeneous, as it lets leaves and whatever pass. I've seen cases where a mesh of some sort was bent into a curve and placed in the flow, but then you have to go out and clean off the screen several times a day.
John

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had the problem with the frogs getting to the back part of the filter where your pump would be, I have an external pump so the pipe that draws water for the pump is in this area so similar to yours. What I found is that the frogs were able to that area where the handle is for the skimmer basket. I just use a sponge and put it there to keep the frog from being able to get to that area. I pull one out this time of year daily, they seem to like it in there for some reason, they hide under the skimmer door. I saw your photo and what it looks like is that the frogs and salamanders are climbing over the net and into the pump area. You need to block this part off with a screen of some sort like RobAmy said, but would need to modify it for your particular skimmer. I think you will have to choose whether you want to collect the leaves or keep the salamanders out as I don't think you can put rods in front and still collect leaves or keep the salamanders out. You would have to put the rods so close together that it would defeat the purpose of the skimmer. Something else you could try is what I do in the fall when the leaves are falling like crazy and I can't check my skimmer every hour to empty. I made a "net" for in front of my skimmer to collect the leaves and still allow enough water flow through to keep the pump pumping and the waterfall flowing. Then every night I would go out and empty all the leaves from this net. I had to do this as I don't cover my pond in the fall and this helps eliminate the problem of clogging my skimmer with too many leaves.

Ask a Question