Curious case of beetles jumping in pond and drowning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Ever since I built my pond I'd see sometimes beetles drowning in the pond, sometimes they die but most of the time I pull them out they are alive but barely so.
Has anyone else noticed this behavior or why it happens? It's these black beetles but I'm pretty sure they can't survive in the water and just do it for some very odd reason I am not aware of, or seem to be attracted to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have no wisdom for you, but you're in the right place to find out. Welcome and hoping you might share some photos of your pond sometime ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd guess they get in and they just can't get out. Probably looking for a source of water. I doubt it's anything you're doing to attract them or anything you can prevent.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomebutterfliesandbees.gif
@dinm
You might have an over population of them in your area for some reason and they just drop in there and that's the end. I notice beetles here upside down and wandering here and there w/no reason it seems. I turn them right side up and then over they go again!
Here is a link w/a lot about beetles: https://answersingenesis.org/creepy-crawlies/insects/beetles-go-anywhere-do-anything/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No one ever claimed they had overly intelligent bugs

Ask a Question