CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the best thing to do is plants lots of plants and time, water cress . forget me nots , lizard tail though they take a little while to get established

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Plants really are the best option for fighting string algae. But it can take a couple of years and it can be hard for a new pondkeeper to be patient. You so badly want that pond to be crystal clear and free from algae overgrowth. Using Algaefix only exacerbates the issue as anything that KILLS algae leaves you with DEAD algae in the pond. Nothing algae loves more than more dead organics in the water. We had TONS of string algae the first two years - I mean buckets and bushels of it. I would pull out giant balls of it from the bottom of the pond on a daily basis. I would just toss it in the garden - great stuff to feed the soil. And to me there was something encouraging about the fact that my pond could support plant life, even if it wasn't the kind I was hoping to grow! (And I know algae isn't technically "plant" but you know what I mean.)

My husband came from an aquarium background and he did lean toward "let's treat the problem" - he wanted to use an algae control product or salt the pond. But what I always kept in mind was the advice we got from a guy who had been keeping and maintaining ponds for decades - he said it takes 2 full seasons for pond water to mature. Once it does, you're golden. Before that, just leave it be. I was able to convince my husband to just give it time and that advice proved to be spot on. We did nothing but keep adding plants and pulling that algae out as it grew. From year three on, the only string we get is on the waterfall in the early spring - once the plants get going the string algae disappears, If it's a slow, cool spring I may have to pull the string off the rocks just to keep the water flowing well, but otherwise we just leave it be. I always see it as a sign that the pond season is underway.

And interesting thing I've been observing in this first winter with our underwater camera is the change in the carpet of algae on the rocks. The vibrant green algae that was there all summer appeared to die and turn gray as the water got cold. And then, like magic, a different type of algae all together has replaced it - it's once again green and the fish are always snacking away. Nature is truly full of surprises!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 was amazed how in the first year I was able to grow such a crop of hyacinth, in the fall when it died the string came back in the upper pond stream and falls.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi clay is always the best option for string algae , that and cutting back on feeding the fish , The clay binds to the algae and smothers it . Just like a little peroxide on your waterfall rocks kills build up . Turn of the filter spray on peroxide wait on a sunny day and turn back on pump and algae just washs away

Attachments

• DSC06087.JPG
    DSC06087.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koi clay is always the best option for string algae , that and cutting back on feeding the fish , The clay binds to the algae and smothers it . Just like a little peroxide on your waterfall rocks kills build up . Turn of the filter spray on peroxide wait on a sunny day and turn back on pump and algae just washs away
@combatwombat Has no fish , his only source of organics is swimming, toads and dusts.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fish or no fish the clay works because it starves the algae of air ,peroxide just kills it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the tips, folks. Gonna hold off on algae control product for now. It's not really growing now so much as just... not dying. I have all winter to wait it out.

Planning to have a bunch of people over on the New Year for a cold plunge, though. I'll tell everyone to take a shower first and to grab a handful of algae on their way out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my grandpop and grandma used to make a game of getting dandelions . pop pop made moonshine which in PA it was called hooch and mom mom made dandelion wine and dandelion soup . I wonder if there is a use for algae besides MEMORIES ARE GREAT Thank you for bringing back a memorie for me Mgessert

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
my grandpop and grandma used to make a game of getting dandelions . pop pop made moonshine which in PA it was called hooch and mom mom made dandelion wine and dandelion soup . I wonder if there is a use for algae besides MEMORIES ARE GREAT Thank you for bringing back a memorie for me Mgessert
Well they sell dried seaweed now at Costco so why not dried algae?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe we have hit on a money making idea . algae body mask makes you feel and look 10 to 20 years younger . WOW

Ask a Question