CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Not sure about those cold plunges (at least in my head) @combatwombat, I do cold showers every morning for a few minutes, for various health benefits, and have had to get in the river when there is ice on it at work, but it is quick. Not something I enjoy, but then again that is part of the benefit of doing/not doing things that you think this sucks, but I am going to do it anyhow. Makes us physically/mentally tougher.

While it is a pita sometimes taking care of or helping out older family, that toughness of Ill do it myself and don’t need help is why they are able to still be on there own somewhat at 95, when most are in some assisted living complex.

My parents are in their early 80’s, my dad had a stroke 7 years ago that paralyzed the right side of his body. My mom takes care of him, with some help from a caregiver a few days a week. My brother and I go over and help them when they need it.

But we have to just do things sometimes because they won’t ask for help, but I will say I admire them they are without a doubt the toughest people I know both physically and mentally.

Its great though that you are willing and able to go over and help them, that is what family/ friends are for.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
View attachment 161835

My little winter wonderland. I resisted getting a hot tub (too bougie) for a long time, but I'm glad we have it now. Especially after this week.

I have 95 y/o grandparents that live about 30 min. from me and are fiercely independent despite Papa being practically deaf and having beat cancer 3 times and Nana having macular degeneration so she can barely see. Between the two of them, they have one working set of ears and eyes.

They refuse anything that could carry even a hint of "help." So I usually leave that to my Dad who is less diplomatic and will just steamroll in there and do things for them when it gets really bad.

Well, he's in Arizona for the winter. And the wife was traveling for work this week. So just me and the 4 y/o stuck in a snow storm. School canceled all week. 14º every night for days. And then Nana and Papa's power goes out. The only way we even know it happened is because my dad gets outage alerts for their address. They didn't even call! Not sure if it's because the landlines were down, they refuse to use cell phones, or they really, truly thought everything was fine.

But when I finally got to them 2 days later, it was 45º in the house and Nana was dressed like an alpine climber. The only thing missing from her suit was a pair of crampons. Her first words to me were, "What are you doing here in this weather? We're fine."

They have a small backup generator... but no gas. And an emergency propane heater... but no propane. "Ahh, we don't need 'em," says Papa. "We just go to bed when it gets too cold."

"Ok, good plan. But can I at least set up the generator while I'm here."
"Oh... I guess so. But we don't have any gas."

So I go borrow a 5 gallon can from a neighbor who tells me they siphoned it out of their RV last Spring and added stabilizer so it should be good. Ok, we'll cross our fingers and hope for the best. Of course, generator won't start. And I'm outside...in the dark...in 15º trying to troubleshoot it to no avail. And I need to get home because the kid is with my in-laws who are on call to take MIL's brother with stage 4 cancer to the hospital frequently.

I brought a 20# tank of propane and set them up with their emergency heater and call it a night.

On my way to the door, Nana—who has eaten and drank NOTHING all day because she's been running around taking orders from Papa who has a hard time getting around—collapses and hits her head on the kitchen counter. The only reason she wasn't hurt worse is because I was standing right there and caught her on the way down.

So I'm sitting on the floor with her in my arms trying to ask her questions and give her directions and the only thing she seems capable of saying is, "I'm fine." Meanwhile, Papa—who I've never seen display so much as an ounce of emotion—is stuck in his chair a few feet away hyperventilating and crying. Looked like he was about to have a heart attack. I think he thought she was dead.

So I did what I'm sure they both wanted least and called 911.

Couldn't believe how fast they got there considering the weather. Something like 10 people come through the door less than 10 minutes later. The whole street was lit up with ambulance, fire truck, police cars, etc.

Of course, by the time they arrive, she's gotten up into a chair against the dispatcher's orders and Papa has calmed down. She refuses all emergency service and promises everyone she'll eat/drink something.

I think it probably was the lack of food/water, but it didn't dawn on me til the next morning she might have had a mini-stroke. Wouldn't matter if she did. She was with it enough to politely tell everyone to leave her the hell alone.

I pack up the generator with me and get home at 10pm. Decide to take one last look at it in the garage before bed. Low oil. I fill it up and the f***in' thing starts on the first pull.

Next day, I take the kid to a dr. appt. and then it's back to Nana and Papa's house to get the generator running and hooked up to their furnace, refrigerator, and phone so we can communicate. I have the Subaru loaded with tools and materials. I have a plan to be in and out of there in less than an hour.
  1. Disconnect furnace lead from house power and install heavy duty appliance cord.
  2. Convert furnace junction box to receptacle.
  3. Plug furnace into heavy duty extension cord from generator while power is out and into receptacle when power is on.

Simple and safe for them and utility workers. I even have a plan to put the generator on the deck with a make-shift shelter so it can be refueled with a few steps. Extension cord junctions can be made inside so they can switch appliances without leaving their table.

Of course, I get there and Papa—the former engineer—loves my idea. Except he's been thinking about this for a long time and would like me to put the generator under the deck (requiring him to walk all the way around the house and down very icy steps) and the furnace switching needs to all be done in metal boxes in the wall. Oh, and we need to make sure the boxes are set at the proper depth so that when the wall is finished, the faceplates fit properly. You know. For resale value.

THE INSIDE OF THE FURNACE ROOM...THE WALL THAT HE BUILT... IN 1955...AND HAS BEEN UNFINISHED EVER SINCE. DON'T WORRY. HE'S GOING TO GET TO THAT ANY DAY NOW.

In my head, I am shaking him by the shirt collar and shouting, "IT'S 15º AND YOUR WIFE COLLAPSED LAST NIGHT YOU FOOL! THIS IS A F***ING EMERGENCY!"

I begged him to at least let me put the generator on the deck. No dice. So I do as he wishes and spend 6 hours cutting conduit with a hacksaw and using his bin of fittings from the 80s to make it all work. While I'm working, I notice a small puddle of water on the floor (foreshadowing...)

Oh, I should mention—I talk to Papa by opening my laptop to a fullscreen text editor and typing for him to read and respond verbally. I'm a fast typer, but it's awfully slow compared to conversation.

I get home at 10pm again, drink a beer, and collapse into bed. My nice warm bed. That my grandparents could be sleeping in right now but I'm pretty sure they're bound and determined to die in theirs. I can respect that, I guess. At least their furnace is running now.

Power comes on the next day, and Papa calls on the landline to tell me I was right. Generator ran out of fuel and he can't get down the steps. But not to worry, the power is on and we can revisit the plan in the Spring (foreshadowing...)

Fast forward to yesterday. Kid and I pick wife up at airport at 5pm to welcome her home from a 5-day biz trip and 10 min. after we get home, Dad texts to tell me Nana and Papa's power is out again.

MOTHER F***ER!

Nice to see ya for 10 min Jess. I'm headed to Beaverton now.

On the drive over, I come up with 2 plans.

Plan A is to brow beat Papa into submission and let me put the generator on the deck. If that doesn't work, Plan B is tell them I want to take them to McDonalds since they've had such a rough couple days, put em' in the car with the child locks on, drive them to our place, and handcuff them to the dining room table.

Plan A works.

I get the generator, shelter, and extension cord junctions set up and go to the basement to switch power sources. The little puddle I noticed the other day is now a lake that has soaked all their storage boxes and migrated halfway across the basement. I couldn't feel more defeated (foreshadowing...)

I use all the towels in the house to soak up the mess. There isn't enough and I have to wring them out in the shower over and over to reuse.

Turns out a downspout next to a window well is plugged and all the rain and snow melt is making a mini swimming pool in the window well. I can't troubleshoot the downspout tonight, so I take a shovel and dig a little trench for the water to get away from the foundation.

Now I'm cold AND muddy. I make one last trip inside to pack up my tools, give hugs, and say good night.

House power is back on.

To be continued.
What a great story! You are so caring and funny. Thank you for sharing your adventures.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Boy do I feel this. We had to call for an emergency eval on my mom 2 days before Christmas when the 6th caregiver in as many months quit - she’s just too bossy, mean, irrational, and… well I could go on. They came, they evaluated, they say “even old people have the right to make poor decisions”. OK. But when they make them, who should suffer the consequences? We all know how that ends…

Long story short - we have her POA. She’s going into assisted living in a few weeks. She thinks it was all her idea. My stress level will be reduced by about 2000%. My goal, if I should be lucky enough to live to 85, is to make choices that make things easier for my family. I’ve promised them I will be down to one suitcase and be waiting at the door ready to go when the time comes. God willing my mind won’t leave me between now and then.

Hang in there @combatwombat -

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am living it, slow , medium brain fade of my hubby. Early onset alzheimer. It sucks. once he no longer knows me, it will be a care center time.

At this time, he is on anti depressants, keeps the anger at life down, seems to believe he will beat it. 5 years younger, he was to live to take care of me! Lol.

Now everything is mine to care for.

2 of his kids just wanted to know what car they got when he could no longer drive, and what our will said, one kid stays in contact.

My kids have 4 legs. My care, long down the road I hope, is in the hands of his one kid and two lawyers

All part of what life handed us to take care of, some believe you only get what you can handle.

Hang in there @combatwombat @Lisak1 at least we are upright and breathing!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I am living it, slow , medium brain fade of my hubby. Early onset alzheimer. It sucks. once he no longer knows me, it will be a care center time.

At this time, he is on anti depressants, keeps the anger at life down, seems to believe he will beat it. 5 years younger, he was to live to take care of me! Lol.

Now everything is mine to care for.

2 of his kids just wanted to know what car they got when he could no longer drive, and what our will said, one kid stays in contact.

My kids have 4 legs. My care, long down the road I hope, is in the hands of his one kid and two lawyers

All part of what life handed us to take care of, some believe you only get what you can handle.

Hang in there @combatwombat @Lisak1 at least we are upright and breathing!
My heart breaks for you and hubby. So sorry this happened. He is such a nice guy and you two made the perfect couple. Glad we got to meet him and you and have fun w/you both down in Az. You guys were there for us, love you both :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@addy1 I am so sorry... that's a long, hard road you're on, as I'm sure you are well aware. Thank goodness there are really good memory care places for folks who are dealing with this condition. The nurse at the facility where my mom will be tells us that most of their patients are on mild medication for anxiety, depression, etc - it helps calm their brains and they enjoy life so much more. I'm all for whatever makes it easier for this last stage of life. My mom is in a constant state of agitation over the things she "needs" to do - when in reality everything is being done for her. A little pill now and then might be just the ticket!

My brother was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers two years ago - he turned 60 last year. We were noticing the personality changes, odd behaviors, weird conversations, etc a few years before that. It's a hard thing to watch happen. Now he has lots of paranoia, confusion, fear. Constantly wants to "go home". He thinks his adult sons are trying to date his wife - their own mother - and congratulates her on her new marriage daily. Then he tells my mom this stuff on the phone and gets her all worked up - "why didn't you tell me your brother's wife left him!" Um... because she didn't. Lord have mercy...

We all need our ponds just to help us keep our sanity! Hang in there friends!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We all need our ponds just to help us keep our sanity! Hang in there friends!
Ponds, yard, friends and 10 yorkies. They keep me busy.

Luckily hubby is like his mom was with alzheimer, staying nice, mostly. Way better once he was put on meds. He is flat personality wise, but can flare up. he does not have the agitation alzheimer. Sorry to here your mom does.

The constant repeating is wearing. Asking the same thing over and over. He will be here at home until he says who are you?

I started the mind diet a few years back, figured one of us need to be able to think. Does it help who knows, but why not do it. The experts say it does.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I lost my Dad 30 years ago at the age of 53. He never woke up one morning , . While it may get trying in the weeks and months to come for you both. I'm glad you got to spend a good many years with them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was blessed with my dad, he lived until 89.5 yrs. Passed in his bed at our house. His mind doing great, bad ticker.

Sorry @combatwombat we sort of branched out in your thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi friends. Sorry I haven't responded to some of your messages. Always meant to, but then life got a little overwhelming and, well, Wordle won't play itself, so...

I'll have a bigger update for you soon (I'm STILL an algae farmer, and the frog farming season is just getting started).

But right now, I need to solve an aquatic health issue. This is Clarp:

tempImageqi86pd.jpg

Clarp is a carp, if you can believe it. He came to live with us today when I offered to take him from the aquarium he'd outgrown at a neighbor's house. I should have known this would be a tricky transition, but he was going to be fed to some chickens tomorrow, so I had to act fast as I wanted him to enjoy every fish's god given right to be eaten by a heron instead.

Anyway, he arrived in fresh water that was very warm. Probably 70º or more. The pond was 48º. I transferred him and his water to a garbage bag and floated it in the pond until it felt like the bag water was nearly the same temp. He was still active then, so I started mixing pond water into the bag until it was full and he decided to make a run for it and explore his new home.

My daughter went to check on him an hour later and discovered him floating on his side in a shallow area. Boisterous mourning ensued.

I figured he must not be handling the temperature transition well, so I filled up a storage tub with pond water, boiled a few gallons of tap water, and floated the hot water in its pot to bring the tub temp up to 60º. I scooped ol' Side Floater up, tossed him in, and he came back to life almost instantly.

So... Clarp now lives in the dining room. But he can't stay here because he needs to get to work scaring the frogs. And I don't know what I need to do to keep his hospital water healthy until he can go back in the pond.

What's my strategy?

I have a tiny pump and aerator coming from Amazon ASAP (should be here before bed time). Once I set those up, think I'll scoop some algae covered rocks out of the pond and put them in there with him. Will test his water for ammonia every couple hours.

Thinking I need to find a way to gradually reduce the tub temp a few degrees over the next day or so and see how he responds until tub and pond temperature are the same and he's still happy and active. Then he can go back in the pond.

Good plan? Do you have a better one?

Thanks a million.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Better one would be to place Mr miracle into a bigger bucket and a aquarium heater maybe two depending on the wattage.

when we float fish in the bag to acclimate them to water temps we are doing so with maybe a 10 degree difference not 40. YOU COULD PLACE MR MIRACLE I TAKED MOM INTO FISH FOR THE POND and each day drop the temp by 2 degrees. maybe 4 like two ea ch morning and 2 each evening. that way your getting the fish aclimated over 15 days very similar to our pond temps dropping in the fall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Better one would be to place Mr miracle into a bigger bucket and a aquarium heater maybe two depending on the wattage.

when we float fish in the bag to acclimate them to water temps we are doing so with maybe a 10 degree difference not 40. YOU COULD PLACE MR MIRACLE I TAKED MOM INTO FISH FOR THE POND and each day drop the temp by 2 degrees. maybe 4 like two ea ch morning and 2 each evening. that way your getting the fish aclimated over 15 days very similar to our pond temps dropping in the fall

Thanks, I like it. Daily low temp seems to be hovering from 35-40 over the next week or so. Thinking I can transfer this tub to the garage and it should lose heat pretty gradually.

How worried about ammonia spike should I be during this time? 10+ days in 20 gallons of water, I imagine I need to be doing something about that. Maybe as simple as partial daily water change?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, I like it. Daily low temp seems to be hovering from 35-40 over the next week or so. Thinking I can transfer this tub to the garage and it should lose heat pretty gradually.

How worried about ammonia spike should I be during this time? 10+ days in 20 gallons of water, I imagine I need to be doing something about that. Maybe as simple as partial daily water change?
No food , but the answer is unknown how much did they feed the fish, how much waste is coming any water placed into the garge wiill reach the temp of the garage within hours. without heaters it will be more than likely to fast still. plus miracle fish might still die from shock from earlier

Ask a Question