j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
maybe we have hit on a money making idea . algae body mask makes you feel and look 10 to 20 years younger . WOW
We are too late:

Spirulina is among the world’s most popular supplements. It is made from an organism that grows in both fresh and saltwater.

It is a type of cyanobacteria, which is a family of single-celled microbes that are often referred to as blue-green algae. Just like plants, cyanobacteria can produce energy from sunlight via a process called photosynthesis.

Spirulina was used by the ancient Aztecs but became popular again when NASA proposed that it could be grown in space for use by astronauts.

These days, people use spirulina to boost the levels of nutrients and antioxidants in their bodies, and it may help protect against various diseases.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the only thing those string algea blooms did for me was made me look like BEATLE JUICE BEATLE JUICE BEATLE JUICE. HASN'T WORN OFF COMPLETELY YET
smilie-GB-harley-xmas-version.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Takes time like everything GBBUDD . SEVERAL APPLICATIONS .Just like any health related product it is not one and done . I take extra vitamins everyday and I am 70 and still do things that tire out people that are alot younger than me . Look at my shed and all the work I did on it during the heat we had this summer . Others were wilting while I was working . I love rocking chair front porchs and my sheds love them also . I also added 73 rolls of R30 insulation to my attic and then doing my floors with new R 30 insulation . Thew insulation that came with the house was not up to my standards . How many women in there 70's do you see doing that by themselves . Plus now the front porch on my house wood putty and scarpped and painting getting done on nice days . All 100 feet long of it and only thing not scrapped and painted are spindles because I have to pull off chicken wire in pieces that protect my chihuahuas from falling off . Plus painted all the trim on the house and i am afraid of heights but i did it

Attachments

• DSC05827.JPG
    DSC05827.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC05388.JPG
    DSC05388.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC06077.JPG
    DSC06077.JPG
    398.5 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it knocks it back a little . @combatwombat where you have no fish i have recently read about someone using peroxide IN the pond. actually it was ozz pond , This was a full dosing in the water not just powder on the waterfall with no water. Don't forget it is a pond its not a mountain stream there will always be peach fuzz . probably not what the misses is desiring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
it knocks it back a little . @combatwombat where you have no fish i have recently read about someone using peroxide IN the pond. actually it was ozz pond , This was a full dosing in the water not just powder on the waterfall with no water. Don't forget it is a pond its not a mountain stream there will always be peach fuzz . probably not what the misses is desiring

Peach fuzz is no biggie. I'm still pulling buckets of the stuff out in the freezing weather! Surface temp reading of 35º this weekend. Think I'd better wait until Spring to start adding some fish. Don't think they'd appreciate me invading their winter habitat:

IMG_2380.JPG

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Peach fuzz is no biggie. I'm still pulling buckets of the stuff out in the freezing weather! Surface temp reading of 35º this weekend. Think I'd better wait until Spring to start adding some fish. Don't think they'd appreciate me invading their winter habitat:
Brrrr.... I feel cold just looking at that photo!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah you and Greg can do that for enjoyment. I use to go snorkeling off new hampshire coast line in March going for lobster no wet suit . playing turtle ... just to jump in with no reward but the turtle inverting yeah no.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now that's another animal. I thought you were doing the polar bear plunge

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
tempImageCOxdXI.jpg

My little winter wonderland. I resisted getting a hot tub (too bougie) for a long time, but I'm glad we have it now. Especially after this week.

I have 95 y/o grandparents that live about 30 min. from me and are fiercely independent despite Papa being practically deaf and having beat cancer 3 times and Nana having macular degeneration so she can barely see. Between the two of them, they have one working set of ears and eyes.

They refuse anything that could carry even a hint of "help." So I usually leave that to my Dad who is less diplomatic and will just steamroll in there and do things for them when it gets really bad.

Well, he's in Arizona for the winter. And the wife was traveling for work this week. So just me and the 4 y/o stuck in a snow storm. School canceled all week. 14º every night for days. And then Nana and Papa's power goes out. The only way we even know it happened is because my dad gets outage alerts for their address. They didn't even call! Not sure if it's because the landlines were down, they refuse to use cell phones, or they really, truly thought everything was fine.

But when I finally got to them 2 days later, it was 45º in the house and Nana was dressed like an alpine climber. The only thing missing from her suit was a pair of crampons. Her first words to me were, "What are you doing here in this weather? We're fine."

They have a small backup generator... but no gas. And an emergency propane heater... but no propane. "Ahh, we don't need 'em," says Papa. "We just go to bed when it gets too cold."

"Ok, good plan. But can I at least set up the generator while I'm here."
"Oh... I guess so. But we don't have any gas."

So I go borrow a 5 gallon can from a neighbor who tells me they siphoned it out of their RV last Spring and added stabilizer so it should be good. Ok, we'll cross our fingers and hope for the best. Of course, generator won't start. And I'm outside...in the dark...in 15º trying to troubleshoot it to no avail. And I need to get home because the kid is with my in-laws who are on call to take MIL's brother with stage 4 cancer to the hospital frequently.

I brought a 20# tank of propane and set them up with their emergency heater and call it a night.

On my way to the door, Nana—who has eaten and drank NOTHING all day because she's been running around taking orders from Papa who has a hard time getting around—collapses and hits her head on the kitchen counter. The only reason she wasn't hurt worse is because I was standing right there and caught her on the way down.

So I'm sitting on the floor with her in my arms trying to ask her questions and give her directions and the only thing she seems capable of saying is, "I'm fine." Meanwhile, Papa—who I've never seen display so much as an ounce of emotion—is stuck in his chair a few feet away hyperventilating and crying. Looked like he was about to have a heart attack. I think he thought she was dead.

So I did what I'm sure they both wanted least and called 911.

Couldn't believe how fast they got there considering the weather. Something like 10 people come through the door less than 10 minutes later. The whole street was lit up with ambulance, fire truck, police cars, etc.

Of course, by the time they arrive, she's gotten up into a chair against the dispatcher's orders and Papa has calmed down. She refuses all emergency service and promises everyone she'll eat/drink something.

I think it probably was the lack of food/water, but it didn't dawn on me til the next morning she might have had a mini-stroke. Wouldn't matter if she did. She was with it enough to politely tell everyone to leave her the hell alone.

I pack up the generator with me and get home at 10pm. Decide to take one last look at it in the garage before bed. Low oil. I fill it up and the f***in' thing starts on the first pull.

Next day, I take the kid to a dr. appt. and then it's back to Nana and Papa's house to get the generator running and hooked up to their furnace, refrigerator, and phone so we can communicate. I have the Subaru loaded with tools and materials. I have a plan to be in and out of there in less than an hour.
  1. Disconnect furnace lead from house power and install heavy duty appliance cord.
  2. Convert furnace junction box to receptacle.
  3. Plug furnace into heavy duty extension cord from generator while power is out and into receptacle when power is on.

Simple and safe for them and utility workers. I even have a plan to put the generator on the deck with a make-shift shelter so it can be refueled with a few steps. Extension cord junctions can be made inside so they can switch appliances without leaving their table.

Of course, I get there and Papa—the former engineer—loves my idea. Except he's been thinking about this for a long time and would like me to put the generator under the deck (requiring him to walk all the way around the house and down very icy steps) and the furnace switching needs to all be done in metal boxes in the wall. Oh, and we need to make sure the boxes are set at the proper depth so that when the wall is finished, the faceplates fit properly. You know. For resale value.

THE INSIDE OF THE FURNACE ROOM...THE WALL THAT HE BUILT... IN 1955...AND HAS BEEN UNFINISHED EVER SINCE. DON'T WORRY. HE'S GOING TO GET TO THAT ANY DAY NOW.

In my head, I am shaking him by the shirt collar and shouting, "IT'S 15º AND YOUR WIFE COLLAPSED LAST NIGHT YOU FOOL! THIS IS A F***ING EMERGENCY!"

I begged him to at least let me put the generator on the deck. No dice. So I do as he wishes and spend 6 hours cutting conduit with a hacksaw and using his bin of fittings from the 80s to make it all work. While I'm working, I notice a small puddle of water on the floor (foreshadowing...)

Oh, I should mention—I talk to Papa by opening my laptop to a fullscreen text editor and typing for him to read and respond verbally. I'm a fast typer, but it's awfully slow compared to conversation.

I get home at 10pm again, drink a beer, and collapse into bed. My nice warm bed. That my grandparents could be sleeping in right now but I'm pretty sure they're bound and determined to die in theirs. I can respect that, I guess. At least their furnace is running now.

Power comes on the next day, and Papa calls on the landline to tell me I was right. Generator ran out of fuel and he can't get down the steps. But not to worry, the power is on and we can revisit the plan in the Spring (foreshadowing...)

Fast forward to yesterday. Kid and I pick wife up at airport at 5pm to welcome her home from a 5-day biz trip and 10 min. after we get home, Dad texts to tell me Nana and Papa's power is out again.

MOTHER F***ER!

Nice to see ya for 10 min Jess. I'm headed to Beaverton now.

On the drive over, I come up with 2 plans.

Plan A is to brow beat Papa into submission and let me put the generator on the deck. If that doesn't work, Plan B is tell them I want to take them to McDonalds since they've had such a rough couple days, put em' in the car with the child locks on, drive them to our place, and handcuff them to the dining room table.

Plan A works.

I get the generator, shelter, and extension cord junctions set up and go to the basement to switch power sources. The little puddle I noticed the other day is now a lake that has soaked all their storage boxes and migrated halfway across the basement. I couldn't feel more defeated (foreshadowing...)

I use all the towels in the house to soak up the mess. There isn't enough and I have to wring them out in the shower over and over to reuse.

Turns out a downspout next to a window well is plugged and all the rain and snow melt is making a mini swimming pool in the window well. I can't troubleshoot the downspout tonight, so I take a shovel and dig a little trench for the water to get away from the foundation.

Now I'm cold AND muddy. I make one last trip inside to pack up my tools, give hugs, and say good night.

House power is back on.

To be continued.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow is all I can say! I need you in my life!

I dug a hole for a 500 gallon propane tank years ago, it feeds a small propane ventless heater in the living room. Also a tankless heater.

So no power we have heat no matter what.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a story! Me too dying here, hoping it all works out.......................but knowing there is going to be more to this story for sure! God bless you all! You man, have your hands full to say the least o_O

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'M NOT AS NICE , i go over find deficiency fix the problem as i'll be servicing further more. Trust me not that i won every battle with the quadriplegic in-law who could move arms not his hands and could sit in a wheel chair. so i feel for you i know exactly what your going through.

i wanted to place a safety I beam and a hoist in this bedroom so his 75 year old wife at the begining din't have to lift him 280 pound man in and out of bed . But noooooo my 5 foot tall 75 year old wife can do it. PISSED ME OFF BEYOND PISSING ME OFF. worst part was she did this for 15 years it destroyed her knees and her back. because he didn't want a lift hanging from his ceiling , because he's going to walk again.

Even the pretty corporate medical verssion for 10 times the price wasn't good enough for him untill she dropped him a third time . i get the call to come help as he's on the floor and she can't lift him . i',m not a small guy 280 pounds dead FRAGILE WEIGHT is not east to lift and not hurt them in some way.

I built handi cap ramps and showers , silverware. for him , well actually more for his wife to make her life a little easier. to i hear you @combatwombat your not alone comes with age. as frustrating as it gets your like myself and pappa can't go without helping regardless of the frustration so my hat off to you.

But i will say this STOP asking and when there's a problem just do it. What's he going to do go pull the generator off the deck or is he going to use it and be mad but his wife has heat.
Thats the best part about getting old they forget what happened yesterday let alone last year.

CHEERS

Last edited:

Ask a Question