CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Put in A couple blue gill, sunnies or perch they nibble at the legs and toes the least.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants plants plants. I never had string in my big pond. Never green water.

But bog is big and full of plants. You want more? Ask in the spring, when they are just growing, ship the best. I will be doing a purge again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
See, that's where I'm a little confused. I know I need more and bigger plants to outcompete the algae. And I know those plants need nutrients. But isn't excess nutrients the reason I have the algae? Is it that the algae is just better at absorbing the nutrients from the other plants?
You need more plants as they will compete w/the algae and take the nutrients away from the algae. Not sure how the science works but know it just does. Maybe someone else know the facts of how and why.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Plants plants plants. I never had string in my big pond. Never green water.

But bog is big and full of plants. You want more? Ask in the spring, when they are just growing, ship the best. I will be doing a purge again.

You're a machine! Would love some more next Spring, but might be out of space once I divide all the ones you sent me last fall. Of course, I said that last time, too. Maybe I'll be the one shipping out before long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I forgot to mention my daughter learned to swim in the pond this summer. That was awesome.

She's been working on it since last summer, but she got it this year. She did one round of lessons at the nearby community center last fall, but didn't really take to the pool. Now she's like a little dolphin. No more life jacket in the pond (but she never goes in without an adult) and she had us buy her some goggles so she could dive around. That will be a lot more fun for her next summer with some fish in there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I forgot to mention my daughter learned to swim in the pond this summer. That was awesome.

She's been working on it since last summer, but she got it this year. She did one round of lessons at the nearby community center last fall, but didn't really take to the pool. Now she's like a little dolphin. No more life jacket in the pond (but she never goes in without an adult) and she had us buy her some goggles so she could dive around. That will be a lot more fun for her next summer with some fish in there.
Neat, get her an underwater camera so she can film her underwater fun w/the fishes and share them w/her friends!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I learned many years ago if a woman wants to call it ANYTHING that makes her more comfortable with any scenario no matter how rediculous it may be just go with it. like when i was in Bermuda and a palm meadow bug ran across my x wifes legs and the natives said it wouldn't hurt her as it was just a palm meadow bug. she said i have never heard of those before but ok if it won't bite im good. after the third or fourth crawled up on her and the native woman said yea you have these back home in the states you call the cockroaches . that was it she ran insisted we leave and she didn't sleep for days

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm 51% sure I had a leech on my finger while cleaning the algae and muck from the top of the reservoir. Shook it off and it floated away too fast for me to examine. :oops:
Oh boy if the kids and wife hear about this it's a no swim pond for them! I went into a river while camping over in Eastern Washington. Waded into above my knees. Came out w/small leeches stuck all over my legs! I always thought if something like this were to happen to me I would freak out to the highest extent but nope I just stood there staring at them wondering what the heck to do. So I just went back into the water and brushed them all off lightly and away they went. I did not go back into the river! Then I wondered what kind of diseases I picked up but after contacting the wildlife dept there they said all is fine and no diseases should come from them. That was years ago and I'm still kicking so guess they were right! I hope they enjoyed the small meal they got from me :vamp:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
lastly don't squish or roll up the hair algae it releases spores to seed more hair algae
I never knew that.

@combatwombat Your pond looks beautiful. And I love it that your daughter is swimming in it. I can't wait to follow your journey when you add fish.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm 51% sure I had a leech on my finger while cleaning the algae and muck from the top of the reservoir. Shook it off and it floated away too fast for me to examine. :oops:
Yuck! Came in on a bird foot. Don't tell wife!

Ask a Question