CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I look at your soils and start to cry

It's okay. It's worth the tears. I dug through our clay layer with a transfer shovel. Have only had to break out the maddock for a few swings here and there.

Not sure how your joining the two culverts together. they do have collars to join them
They also sell end caps do you plan to utilize these in your design?

Wasn't planning to do anything—3" pipe just empties into end of open centipede and centipede just slips into hole cut into snorkel. We had a group pow wow about this a gazillion pages back in this thread and I thought the consensus was "doesn't really matter."

I read some technical docs awhile back from Aquascape saying if you're using a 2" pipe to connect to centipede instead of the 3" it's designed for to just cut the stub off the end of the centipede and shove the pipe in.

Do you think it matters that the centipede end is capped and/or tightly fused to the snorkel? I could use liner + zip tie to seal end of centipede and spray foam to close gaps between centipede and snorkel.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is more of a sharp corner that i would be weary of against the liner. Fabric the area well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Spent the day gathering bog materials and strengthening milk crates with PVC. 6 yards of stone staged in the driveway. Having access to the dump trailer is awesome.

8CDF6717-708C-48A4-9ECB-3EE8336F8B1B.jpeg

2EC10E06-27D6-49CE-926F-AC498956CDCA.jpeg

47F95781-BD91-4C5B-AE9A-24BBEBAACD8A.jpeg

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Milk crate modification. Got this idea from @Pondfun some time ago.

THAT'S where my cold-pond fee is going???? PVC pipes??? Sheesh.

I doubt you're ever going to just sit back and enjoy the pond from a lounge chair for an entire summer, CW; you just NEED something to do, I think!

Looking good!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What a mess. Today is Day 6 of trying to recover a bunch of river rock from the front yard. Was buried under grass that moved in over bark dust and bark chips. And all different sizes from about 1/2 inch to 6". Needed to be taken out of the front yard anyway, but has been kind of a disaster trying to make use of it in the bog filter.

Was able to manually sort out the bigger stuff to add to the bottom and about 1/2 of the middle-sized stuff for the middle layer. But the rest of it—about 1.5 yards—is still just too dirty with clay chunks and mixed up with plant material and bark chips to be of any use without extremely tedious manual labor. And that's AFTER sifting it with my homemade trommel. Think I'm going to abandon it and just move onto filling with pea gravel rather than mess with.

Will end up with 6" of large cobble at bottom, 6" of 1-2" round drain rock in the middle and about 12" of pea gravel on top. Hoping 12" of pea gravel doesn't make it impossible to properly backflush, but we'll see!

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Think I'm going to abandon it and just move onto filling with pea gravel rather than mess with.

Will end up with 6" of large cobble at bottom, 6" of 1-2" round drain rock in the middle and about 12" of pea gravel on top. Hoping 12" of pea gravel doesn't make it impossible to properly backflush, but we'll see!
takes a while, but eventually we all get there; I hosed/cleaned off 1-1/2 yds of pea gravel for bog v1. Took me 8 hours and my hands were literally like prunes and they hurt. Bog v2? 3 yds of pea gravel? Closed my eyes and dumped it all in. Felt great the next day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a mess. Today is Day 6 of trying to recover a bunch of river rock from the front yard. Was buried under grass that moved in over bark dust and bark chips. And all different sizes from about 1/2 inch to 6". Needed to be taken out of the front yard anyway, but has been kind of a disaster trying to make use of it in the bog filter.

Was able to manually sort out the bigger stuff to add to the bottom and about 1/2 of the middle-sized stuff for the middle layer. But the rest of it—about 1.5 yards—is still just too dirty with clay chunks and mixed up with plant material and bark chips to be of any use without extremely tedious manual labor. And that's AFTER sifting it with my homemade trommel. Think I'm going to abandon it and just move onto filling with pea gravel rather than mess with.

A couple tricks to others down the road reading the blog is to place plywood down on the lawn or driveway before you dump the stone.
There is a new bag dumpster company around here . it's where you buy a heavy duty bag that has straps these are for you to place your construction debris or cleaned out basement junk into and then you call the company and they have a winch that picks up the bag. it's a small canvas dumpster basically. They then empty it into there truck you get to keep the bag for the next load. or as you dump the stone you can place the bags i mentioned on the ground and dump layers of the stone into them. An other trick we have used when having to move stone is to have the stone loaded into a similar bag . You drive to the yard they load a 1 yard bag with the stone in it. then you use the excavator to haul it to the pond and there is also usually a flap to control how fast the stone comes out. the bottom. sorry C.w i should have mentioned this sooner.

Don't worry about back flushing @addy1 never has and when i tried it was a waist of time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our favorite rock yard now delivers gravel and small stone in those bags - it's the best thing EVER. No more rocks the grass FOREVER.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I should add that you should try to be there when they load the bags and beg and plead with the operator to only scoop from the top of the pile . there is soooo much less small tailings and dirt at the top of the pile then there is off the bottom it is a little more work for the operator . but only in pushing the controls maybe for a second push into the pile.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A couple tricks to others down the road reading the blog is to place plywood down on the lawn or driveway before you dump the stone.
If I could do it again, I would not have sifted the stone on the lawn because picking up the stone off the lawn again brought a bunch of junk with it. I would have just shoveled the total mess to the driveway first, and that would have eliminated a round of sifting. In my case, though, there still would be plenty of junk in the gravel because it was already buried under grass and bark chips for years before we bought this place.

It's easy to sift the dirt out with a trommel, but it doesn't do much for grass (catches on the trommel for removal, but time consuming) or bark chips, which are too big to fall out with the dirt. They end up still mixed with the rock.

Solution I came up with was to float it out in water. By the time I had an efficient system designed (in my head) for that, it was more work than it was worth for what I was trying to achieve.

I should have just scooped all the damn stuff out of the yard with Barney and put it in a trailer to the dump. Would have saved myself 5 days. 5 f***ing days for 1.5 yards of useful gravel. Just because I wanted to reuse materials onsite. lol. Top 5 dumbest ideas I've ever had.

Only saving grace is that I get a weird satisfaction out of solving little engineering problems like this.

An other trick we have used when having to move stone is to have the stone loaded into a similar bag
They're called super sacks around here. I actually went and bought one at Lowe's to see if I could speed up the bog build by using Barney to load a super sack and then carrying it with the bucket to the filter. Didn't work due to access. Path to filter from driveway is too narrow and have to navigate under eave of house. No way to carry the sack with the bucket without hitting the house or dragging the bag. Bag ripped open on the first trip from ground contact and spilled the gravel everywhere. Oops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fetched another couple yards of pea gravel to finish the bog today. Had the lady running the yard load up one nice, flat boulder for me, too. Just couldn't leave without it. She had to switch her bucket out for forks to get it out of the pile while everyone lined up at the scale. She is so nice and patient with me...

It is so damn handy to have that dump trailer. Just wish I could back it straight up to the bog and dump it. Remaining junk rock from the front yard loaded into Dad's utility trailer and headed for the "pit of despair" at the back of his property.

Also figured out how to make my own 3" bulkhead fittings for about $15/ea. rather than the $70 off-the-shelf ones. The trick is using a pvc terminal adapter with straight threads instead of a standard plumbing pvc male adapter with tapered threads. Then you just need a decent gasket to seal against the liner, and you're good to go. Will post a little video update on that once my gaskets arrive from Amazon.

Gonna do a little edge work on the main pond while I wait for those supplies.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Raining like crazy this weekend, which means dreaming of fun new projects as I sit inside or take the kid out for puddle stomping.

Had the idea to get a giant boulder cut in half to create a coffee table on the patio. How cool would that be?

I also plumbed one of my downspouts into the pond, and it's filling up really fast. Might allow for some more passive cleaning of the rock so I don't have to work so hard at it.

This is about 4 days worth of rain:

IMG_3038.JPG

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Raining like crazy this weekend, which means dreaming of fun new projects as I sit inside or take the kid out for puddle stomping.

Had the idea to get a giant boulder cut in half to create a coffee table on the patio. How cool would that be?

I also plumbed one of my downspouts into the pond, and it's filling up really fast. Might allow for some more passive cleaning of the rock so I don't have to work so hard at it.

This is about 4 days worth of rain:

View attachment 143420
you need to slow down...still got 24 days to final fill up! Normally, I'd be rooting for the rain as that would keep you inside 'RESEARCHIN'' but in this case, the rain is going to take me out of the pool...sigh. What's a person to do?

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question