CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I have discovered a solution to get about 600 gallons more out of my cistern. Gotta draw it out to make sure I'm not missing a dealbreaker. Exciting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think I have discovered a solution to get about 600 gallons more out of my cistern. Gotta draw it out to make sure I'm not missing a dealbreaker. Exciting.
this sounds suspiciously like another delay, CW! Whatcha think; another month? ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
this sounds suspiciously like another delay, CW! Whatcha think; another month? ;)

No no no. This will either work or it won't based on a few minutes of careful thought. Careful thought is hard to come by with a toddler running around, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No no no. This will either work or it won't based on a few minutes of careful thought. Careful thought is hard to come by with a toddler running around, though.
it's not that I think it won't work--you're good at insuring that it will, it's more if it does work, how long it's gonna take to employ it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
55E64AAD-12CB-4A95-B505-4CC34AC0949A.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was too tired last night to write anything along with the photo. Dad came out on Monday and we set a bunch of rocks with Barney. Yes, we had to set over the side of the machine to reach the far side of the bottom of the pond w/ Barney's short little T-rex arms, but we tested our reach in the yard with the biggest rock on site beforehand to make sure it would be safe.

Got all the big rocks set that we could on the bottom shelf from that side of the pond. Going to take out a fence post on the other side of the house to get at the rest of the bottom. My arms are screaming. Tried to set some smaller rocks by hand today and gave up to work on plumbing instead.

As I move to the upper shelf, it's time for another rock delivery. Think I'll pick out some much bigger ones as we don't have to reach to set them.

There are a few spots on the far side of the pond where I'd like bigger rocks but can't reach and don't know if it's a great idea to try to strap a boulder all the way around a very narrow path. Had the idea to set the rock down in the bottom of the pond, move the excavator, and then pick it up again to set where I want it. Could also rent a construction forklift for a day. That could be fun.

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Niiice, rock is going in the pond, slooooowllly coming together. Barney have lights on him, you can do some nighttime rock setting, while the young ‘in is sleeping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jhn: Barney has no lights but can place boulders by echolocation using the horn.

Would have set more rocks today, but need more big ones and the guy who delivers for me is busy until next week. Back to work on the plumbing and negative edge in the meantime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
New update on negative edge cistern. Water matrix blocks are all installed and backfilled. Playing with the idea of adding a 4th level of crates to increase cistern to 2500 gallons. Video discusses a few of the challenges with that. I actually already have an idea to solve this problem after watching some videos about Brian Helfrich's (Aquascape guy) personal pond w/ rainwater cistern.

Standby for that update.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have Barney for an unlimited amount of time DO IT RIGHT DIG THE CISTERN DOWN ANOTHER ROW.
yes i had a wire just below grade previous owner installed and it git burned out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is no way in hell I am pulling all that out to dig deeper. I'm not sure I would have enough liner to do so, either, unless I started seaming patches onto the cistern liner. I have another solution that involves using a bib liner to achieve a similar result.

I thought you wanted me to finish this project, @GBBUDD ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Little video update on setting the boulders. Improving my video editing skills a bit. Headed out to the rock yard today to tag boulders for next delivery. Will also try to use up the smaller ones and get some more plumbing roughed in today.

Ask a Question