CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw an awesome Greg Wittstock video of a basement window well waterfall. Maybe you did too? It is from December 27, 2019 and the YouTube video is titled " Most Amazing *BACKYARD POND AND WATERFALL* "

Time spent staring at rocks ,or ponds, isn't wasted time. Rocks and ponds are 2 of my obsessions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YEAH I BELIEVE THAT WENT TO THE HOME OWNERS OFFICE A VERY WELL DONE FALLS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Daring in one of the wettest areas in the country you want to dig in a window well and pond less falls and hope you can keep the foundation dry! Scary this guy is more like me then i care to admit

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Daring in one of the wettest areas in the country you want to dig in a window well and pond less falls and hope you can keep the foundation dry! Scary this guy is more like me then i care to admit
ya know, @GBBUDD I was thinkin' the SAME thing! Why, it's almost like @combatwombat is your apprentice, or sumthin'! Then it came to me--I think there was a pic of the two of you, sorta like biker twins...now, where did I see it...hold on, let me do a quick google...

...and, there it is! More scary than you even imagined, I bet!

Hogmaster and his apprentice.jpg

smilie sword twirl.gif

Ad

Advertisements

brokensword

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fixed a low edge on the far side of the pond and filled the rest of the way today. Let's do a walkabout.

IT'S A POND!

so, okay, sniff, lost my own pool, but sure looks nice!

CW; I think you're worrying (re some of your rock positions/decisions) more than you have to (what else is new!) as I think when you integrate the plantings along the edges, both in the water in front of your rocks as well as those overtop/near, you'll easily fill in such gaps, visually. I think looking at it JUST from a rock perspective, you're a lot more critical than necessary. ANNNND, you can always adjust, probably, later on after you see what's what. I realize with the larger rocks you may want to move them now as you still have Barney, but on first blush, I don't see much overtly odd/wrong/out of place. You did great, Sir!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Fixed a low edge on the far side of the pond and filled the rest of the way today. Let's do a walkabout.

Damn! Your pond is amazing and got alot of potential and with your working mind will be great for sure.

I really love both logs, i love logs in pondscape just to keep all more natural...and a fall one into it is coolest...i wish some moss will grow over em.
Now will start the rockscape working and mind thinking, good luck.
I'm waiting to see it finished....like i said before, will be awesome for sure.

Great work

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Had a whole list of things I was going to get done today. Pump the cistern full to get volume. Then drain the whole pond to get pond volume. Wash out all the mud/debris as the pond lowered. Pull some big rocks out of the bottom I was too lazy to lift out earlier. etc. etc.

Then I fired up the 1/2 hp utility pump with a garden hose and my water meter and... it's pumping like 225 GPH. Cistern will be full at midnight. lol

Recomputing plan...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

COMING ALONG NICELY.......... YOU HAVE TO BE EXCITED A SENCE OF ACCOMPLISHEMENT AFTER THESE MANY DAYS......

Your so pretty rock as you called it i would think about placing that at your focal points mainly as a character stone weather it' s for the falls or for the negative edge those are the eyes your eye will be most of the time. One other note that everyone loves is when there water encircling what is now the edging stones allow the water to go behind the boulder and you can do anything you'd like Just having a rock sticking out of the water close to the edge but not quite or just that the pond is not as even edged as it seems that goes a long way in looking natural.
YOULL BE DONE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT

The one rock you didn't like because it was to high. why not rotate it and let it hang out over the water a little make it so you have a seat but only your feet dangle in the water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fired up the ol' bleep bloop machine. Alternate pond volume calculation acquired. Can you guess how many gallons the whole system is? Answer @ end of video:

It's pretty hard to accurately estimate volume on a free-form pond with multiple shelves and filled with boulders. If you think you have an x,000 gallon pond but haven't actually measured it, I bet you're off by at least 15%

Ad

Advertisements

brokensword

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fired up the ol' bleep bloop machine. Alternate pond volume calculation acquired. Can you guess how many gallons the whole system is? Answer @ end of video:

It's pretty hard to accurately estimate volume on a free-form pond with multiple shelves and filled with boulders. If you think you have an x,000 gallon pond but haven't actually measured it, I bet you're off by at least 15%
I kinda thought you might have a lot less in the actual pond, as I compared yours to my pond size. When just a hole, yours looked like a small lake but you're right; fill it with rocks, etc and watch the volume go down quickly!

Btw, you really think you'll get a full 1000 gallons in the bog? I'm a bit doubtful about that number too, so will be interesting to find out actual results. What is the layering design you're going with? I know you're using centipede and snorkel, but how much/size of the stone above? And bog dimensions?

You ARE going to meter the bog separately, right? When I state my pond volume, I'm just usually talking about the pond proper, not the bogv1, bogv2, small stream, and barrels for the bog prefilter, despite they all hold water. Will be more important if I ever need to dose, but I tend to just apply any pond size gallonage to what I'd see if sitting next to it!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In one of the videos you talked about placing fabric over the milk crates off to the side , i hope you have enough liner to cover over the top of the cistern as well in the areas other then where it is to drop in. I would strongly recommend the azek sheet and or something to protect if not close those sides up just fabric alone will allow for sediment to drip in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In one of the videos you talked about placing fabric over the milk crates off to the side , i hope you have enough liner to cover over the top of the cistern as well in the areas other then where it is to drop in. I would strongly recommend the azek sheet and or something to protect if not close those sides up just fabric alone will allow for sediment to drip in

Been ignoring the negative edge/cistern for a bit while I finish up other stuff. Will be getting back to it soon, I'm sure. Top of cistern will definitely be protected from sediment infiltration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it's tricky and probably why there's not lot of videos on it

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question