CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
CW, here's a thought for you; if you want to do some easy leveling/cascade manipulation, you can place some flat slate type rocks all the way across your waterfall line. if you put them INTO the pea gravel, NOT on your supported edge, you can then push your slate deeper or lift it by adding pea gravel underneath until you get the flow OVER TOP that you're aiming for.
I like that thought. Considered it earlier just to get me a little more horizontal depth in the falls since I have the bog and pond so close together. Kind of figured a lot of water would just work its way under the slate rather than over the top of it, though. Could place a bib liner under it, I guess.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thats where water fall foam comes in it stops flow of water but is not water proof the bib is a bit tough now that your rocked. it also can hold the rocks but won't lock them like concrete, but they can be held untill they are forced. Let the foam start to set and blend some pea stone onto and into it nice touch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Making that liner disappear.

DAD4849F-83F3-40BD-A814-E588341F0619.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword: Not yet. Though I have been trimming it down where there's just too much of it. Loaded about a yard of sand into the bottom and shelves. Leaving area open where I still need to work.

View attachment 145299
View attachment 145301
ah, such memories your pics bring back--I used boards for wheelbarrowing too! Ha, but seriously, you're making progress. I'm poking at you but I too (gasp!) cut my liner! I used hdrpe and you KNOW that doesn't mind well when trying to unroll, fold, wrap, and cover over hills of dirt! Got so frustrated, out came the scissors! I DID cut one area about 2" shorter than I should have (meaning, I DON'T have 12" minimum slack at that point!) and had to 'seam' a small piece to the main liner, just for some peace of mind.

And having done it once before, you'd have thought I'd know better the SECOND time, hey? Well, I was working a 40'x30' piece into a figure 8...I had sooooo many folds on one side of the 8 that when I got around the tree to the other side, I cut and slashed as my sanity was fading fast! That said, I had to be a bit careful of existing landscape/plants so couldn't just drape everything where I wanted and the pondhouse walls didn't help, either.

Hopefully, yours is still intact and doing fine! Btw, what's the missus and kids thinking about how it's going? Excited yet? Looking forward to spring? Any prodding about fish yet?

Keep rollin', CW!

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas2.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ha. The wheelbarrow plank certainly makes things go faster, but I almost dropped the wheelbarrow in the hole a few times. Had to stick to 1/2 loads.

I do know what you mean about rpe liner behaving itself. It takes some convincing to stay put. Cutting giant chunks off with lots of folds is tricky. Must go slowly and make sure you're not cutting too close to the edge. And lots of caution when cutting near an overlap. Caught myself several times almost cutting into the liner below the one intended to cut.

I think my wife has just resigned herself to having a perpetually torn up property. Toddler still thinks it's fun and likes to watch me work from the deck, but I think she's lost a bit of interest since she can't go down there to play yet. Everyone's kind of over it right now. I'm the only one who still cares. haha. They'll change their tune come springtime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Keep going CW!!! Will be awesome
I'm kinda worried about CW when he actually completes this; his mind and body will have NOTHING to do--think he'll explode with all that free time??? hmm, new poll in the making??? :D:cool:

On a positive note, he IS making huge inroads on GB's numbers!!! :eek:;)

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas2.gif

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
CW is making headway like a squirrel in the road trying to avoid a car….just runs back and forth gets nowhere til the car runs them over….joking or am I?

Dont mind me CW the pond is coming along and looking good, honestly I get a lot of joy during the construction process of my pond, which is probably why I have added to them over the years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm basically a squirrel in the road. It's really hard right now to source all the materials I need, so when I'll try to finish one piece, get stuck waiting on something I didn't realize I needed, and skip over to something else. Plumbing is extra difficult at the moment. You make a plan to get something done with the fewest parts necessary and then go to 3 plumbing stores to try to source the fittings and end up still having to order a few online or give up and change the plan.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm basically a squirrel in the road. It's really hard right now to source all the materials I need, so when I'll try to finish one piece, get stuck waiting on something I didn't realize I needed, and skip over to something else. Plumbing is extra difficult at the moment. You make a plan to get something done with the fewest parts necessary and then go to 3 plumbing stores to try to source the fittings and end up still having to order a few online or give up and change the plan.
I hear you, have visions of me standing in those plumbing stores in the past staring at parts for awhile noodling through how I am going to make the plumbing work with the least mount of fittings, turns, etc. After my original plan was foiled by not being able to find the parts I wanted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hear you, have visions of me standing in those plumbing stores in the past staring at parts for awhile noodling through how I am going to make the plumbing work with the least mount of fittings, turns, etc. After my original plan was foiled by not being able to find the parts I wanted.
...or you HAVE parts at home, go to the box store, get what you need, then come home to find out they're NOT gonna fit! (like trying to make sanitary plumb parts fit with schedule 40 or that dratted schedule 30 stuff...been TWICE now trying to work with what I have!).

CW is making headway like a squirrel in the road trying to avoid a car….just runs back and forth gets nowhere til the car runs them over….joking or am I?

Dont mind me CW the pond is coming along and looking good, honestly I get a lot of joy during the construction process of my pond, which is probably why I have added to them over the years.
,,.now, if you could ONLY marry your ugly falling through ugly tree with this squirrel ism, I could make a case with the powers-that-be here at GPF to get you sainted! Or at least better room service!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
now, if you could ONLY marry your ugly falling through ugly tree with this squirrel ism, I could make a case with the powers-that-be here at GPF to get you sainted! Or at least better room service!
I could marry them with a kissing your sister ism …..maybe, have to noodle on that one a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't want to interrupt this nice conversation here. And I really don't want to jinx it, but I think I'm totally out of the bottom of the pond. So tired of pumping rain water out to do more work down there.

Ask a Question