CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
you have no idea how lucky you are having that excavator with no rental. im so glad i don't i'd have ever square inch of my yard as a pond hby now. the job im working on has so much stone it;s insane

hate when i type a post and forget to hit post reply opps

It’s not free, I’m afraid. He just said he wasn’t worried about a price upfront and that he’d leave it up to me to pay what I think I got out of it.

I don’t think I can afford what I’ve gotten out of it at this point. haha. Believe it or not, I’ve only put 100 hours on the machine in the nearly 8 months it’s been here.

I have an allowance in my budget of $2k for it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i just rented a excavator last week from the home depot about barnies size full day is $450. so you definitely made out . now i understand why the landscaping now barney is drawing near to going to another home

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Didn't see this when I tagged it at the yard. I'm going to have to have another fountain, huh?

View attachment 149062

And got another log installed for edging. It was sitting on a gravel driveway @ my parents place for 3-4 years, so it's a bit soft, but we'll see how long it lasts in the pond. Not hard to come by, so when it crumbles, I'll just get another one.

View attachment 149063

View attachment 149064View attachment 149065

View attachment 149066
I wish I could find a log like that laying around somewhere! Great find.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
go to the pacific north west and go to any river or coast line they are EVERYWHERE

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have people here that sell driftwood at flea markets and just by the side of the road sometimes. They go up into the UP and haul it home. Some of it is just gorgeous. We've bought a few pieces and felt a little silly doing it - it's DRIFTWOOD for heaven's sake! But it's cheaper than taking a trip north ourselves I guess!

We do live near Lake Michigan but you have to be quick to get the good stuff that rolls in on the beaches here. They tend to patrol early and clean it all up before the sun is even up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have people here that sell driftwood at flea markets and just by the side of the road sometimes. They go up into the UP and haul it home. Some of it is just gorgeous. We've bought a few pieces and felt a little silly doing it - it's DRIFTWOOD for heaven's sake! But it's cheaper than taking a trip north ourselves I guess!

We do live near Lake Michigan but you have to be quick to get the good stuff that rolls in on the beaches here. They tend to patrol early and clean it all up before the sun is even up.
There can be a lot of money in these kinds of hobby businesses for the folks who take them seriously. Have seen lots of them.

My favorite was a lady who made custom clothing for American Girl dolls. Got so big, she started outsourcing to a textile somewhere in The Bahamas. Last I remember (about 10 years ago), it was doing about $3M/year in revenue.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
you have no idea how lucky you are having that excavator with no rental. im so glad i don't i'd have ever square inch of my yard as a pond hby now. the job im working on has so much stone it;s insane

hate when i type a post and forget to hit post reply opps
I am pretty much working on that with my yard, less grass to cut.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got a a start on my urbanite retaining wall yesterday. It’s less than a foot tall, so I’m just winging it. Fun project!

42688C82-EA1E-4BE3-9B17-F640AEE73CC7.jpeg

Going for something like this:

1648825747375.jpeg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice job ... agreed best place for old concrete repurpace it.
Building a 3 foot retaining wall this weekend myself. Just using pressure treated though and a student wall with butreses . For the bog is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice job ... agreed best place for old concrete repurpace it.
Building a 3 foot retaining wall this weekend myself. Just using pressure treated though and a student wall with butreses . For the bog is

I love repurposing things. Such a better use than just sending it off for recycling. But I understand why most people don't do it. It's a lot of extra work compared to just going to the store and buying new stuff. In my case, though, all this concrete is just sitting here, so why not?

Think I have enough to do either a path in the side yard or the patio next to the pond. Not enough for both though, so now I'm eyeing my old, tired driveway and thinking to myself, "that would do the trick!"

Ask a Question