Cypress wood for my pond

Reaction score
Country
Peru
I should add if you got those logs out of the water somewhere you may want to soak them and maybe a bath with proform c . This will kill off most parasites that maybe hitch hiking . So where your on your game watching out for even a ph spike then you may want to think about that . And I would double the dose as you have no fish to worry about.
The wood was cut off my fence/hedge at the river. I have several cypress trees there, huge venerable old guys, some of them unfortunately already gone (see the pics attached). They were never in water and look very healthy (rot free).
I was planning to pressure wash them with tap water (little bit chlor) and remove all loose rind material (cortex).
By the way, couple of weeks ago, I have put 20 common carp (10 to 20 cm) from the lake of the neighborhood in the pond to help with algae control, and the wood is for them.
Thanks!

Attachments

• common carp.JPG
    common carp.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 12
  • cypress wood_03.JPG
    cypress wood_03.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 11
  • cypress wood_04.JPG
    cypress wood_04.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@antonio boy are you lucky to have all the beautiful wood at your fingertips to use in and around your pond! Would love to see more pictures when you get a lot of it installed!
@j.w you have access to some of the best drift wood I can think of along the rivers and coast line out there. If you can find something that has been in the salt water or brackish river. Your golden it will never rot out it's petrified with salt and it shouldn't affect the salinity of the pond but at the beginning of it being in the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@j.w you have access to some of the best drift wood I can think of along the rivers and coast line out there. If you can find something that has been in the salt water or brackish river. Your golden it will never rot out it's petrified with salt and it shouldn't affect the salinity of the pond but at the beginning of it being in the pond.
Thing is tho my pond is deep but not very big around and I have no room for anything else. I would need you to come and build me a giant monster beauty one like yours to make room for all the gorgeous driftwood :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thing is tho my pond is deep but not very big around and I have no room for anything else. I would need you to come and build me a giant monster beauty one like yours to make room for all the gorgeous driftwood :smuggrin:
Trust me and i bet @addy1 would agree at times i wish mine was more inline with the size of yours.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If i had to do it over again GRASS would come right up to the edge on half the pond so there's no weeding just sit on the old rump run it over with the lawn mower and done.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes I do like it being pretty easy to care for being smaller. If I had it huge I would need me a pond boy :joyful:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Life is cruel when your young and energetic your usually starting a family , money is tight time is limited. by the time you get the money and the time the body and the energetic is all but gone.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have looked at getting some cypress knees , unfortunately they can be very expensive when they are in a visually attractive configuration.
Found a piece of driftwood at work the other day, looks like cypress knees. Stuck it in the gravel of the bog near waters edge. Like you have tons of dead wood in and around my pond, have cedar, no idea what the other stuff is, but have no issues with water quality.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Found a piece of driftwood at work the other day, looks like cypress knees. Stuck it in the gravel of the bog near waters edge. Like you have tons of dead wood in and around my pond, have cedar, no idea what the other stuff is, but have no issues with water quality.
ENVEOUS .....Those taros you had planted that come back each year should be getting quite impressive. You'll have to dust off your camera and give us a shot or two this summer.

I think the only woods I would avoid would be pines and like olive or fruit woods

Next time I head to the deep south I won't be coming home empty handed, I got knees on the brain. Though this year I have been lucky I have found purple heart stumps , trees and limbs.

Spent a couple hours today installing some new lights. Just placed the lights and ran the wire going to wait for the water to warm up to bury the wires in the water.

The shower is in place but is on hold i have to dig down into the gravel in the bog to install a 3" ball valve and finish running the pipe over to the shower. It will require draining about 2 feet of water out of the bog and Mother nature just filled the cistern up so i'm going to wait for warmer water temps and for the cistern to drop on its own or if i see a good rain coming i might brave the cold water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes I do like it being pretty easy to care for being smaller. If I had it huge I would need me a pond boy :joyful:
tHAT DOES IT I'M NOT GOING TO START BUILDING PONDS NOT IF I'M REFERED TO AS THE POND BOY

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Just to be sure about the condition of the wood I have removed part of the cortex, looking for something that could cause contamination or change the water quality...nothing, but cypress odor.
In any case the wood under water will be covered with algae in a couple of weeks. I intend to leave part of the wood out of the water for a more natural landscape.

Attachments

• cypress wood_05.JPG
    cypress wood_05.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 8
  • cypress wood_06.JPG
    cypress wood_06.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 7

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just to be sure about the condition of the wood I have removed part of the cortex, looking for something that could cause contamination or change the water quality...nothing, but cypress odor.
In any case the wood under water will be covered with algae in a couple of weeks. I intend to leave part of the wood out of the water for a more natural landscape.
Nice looking pieces you have there, they will look awesome in your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
UNDERWATER it will give a home for the fish to hang out. Above water i might do some trimming like a bonsai there's nothing wrong with it before the shears and wire come out but then once its trimmed up its a whole new animal

Ask a Question