addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Next time I head to the deep south I won't be coming home empty handed, I got knees on the brain.
My brother in law collected some great ones, he was raised in Louisiana, parents were still there, then when moving north from AZ to Alaska, he did not want to take them with him. So I became the proud owner of them. They are in the house, not the pond. He said a lot of work, boat, cut off, peel off bark, dry.
20230321_073901.jpg
20230321_073934.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Peru
My brother in law collected some great ones, he was raised in Louisiana, parents were still there, then when moving north from AZ to Alaska, he did not want to take them with him. So I became the proud owner of them. They are in the house, not the pond. He said a lot of work, boat, cut off, peel off bark, dry.View attachment 156396View attachment 156397
Hey you are talking to my heart, great pieces...I am seriously thinking to put some of the wood in the living room too :) !
Why? well I did some more research underneath the cortex and found, almost all over the wood, kind of white powder (pics attached) and decided to strip it completely. It looks like fungi ants use to cultivate in safe-humid places, and I considered it kind of risky for the fish in the pond.
At the end of the day I am discovering the jewel concealed underneath the cortex...
Thanks, great picture!

Attachments

• cypress wood_07.JPG
    cypress wood_07.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 5
  • cypress wood_08.JPG
    cypress wood_08.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 5
  • cypress wood_09.JPG
    cypress wood_09.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 5
  • cypress wood_10.JPG
    cypress wood_10.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
Peru
UNDERWATER it will give a home for the fish to hang out. Above water i might do some trimming like a bonsai there's nothing wrong with it before the shears and wire come out but then once its trimmed up its a whole new animal
Hi
Pls see my reply above, to addy1. Interesting findings, the fungi on one side and the jewel underneath :rolleyes:.

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Hi everybody again:
Apologises for my quick conclusion about the "white powder" found yesterday underneath the cortex!
Yesterday was it cloudy, rainy and humid and it looked more like fungy. Well today, sonny, I continued stripping the wood and realised that it turned to be resin cristals!
Sorry for this misleading statement.:rolleyes:
God knows how contaminant it could be for the pond water...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi
Pls see my reply above, to addy1. Interesting findings, the fungi on one side and the jewel underneath :rolleyes:.
More than likely and fugi or spores, no matter how bad it may possibly be to us as an air borne or say even as a direct contact as soon as it's submerged its probably dead within a couple weeks.

Resin Crystals? im lost you mean like dry cleaning solution?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My brother in law collected some great ones, he was raised in Louisiana, parents were still there, then when moving north from AZ to Alaska, he did not want to take them with him. So I became the proud owner of them. They are in the house, not the pond. He said a lot of work, boat, cut off, peel off bark, dry.
@addy1 THOSE ARE AMAZING AND DANG CLOSE TO THE TALEST I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That one in the center is one in a million

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 THOSE ARE AMAZING AND DANG CLOSE TO THE TALEST I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That one in the center is one in a million
My idiot brother in law, was going to throw them away, I said NO WAY! So they came from Louisiana, to Arizona, to Maryland

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My idiot brother in law, was going to throw them away, I said NO WAY! So they came from Louisiana, to Arizona, to Maryland
People throw away some of the most wonderful items nowadays! Oh yes I know! I have my eagle eyes open to snatch them up when I see them o_O

Reaction score
Country
Peru
More than likely and fugi or spores, no matter how bad it may possibly be to us as an air borne or say even as a direct contact as soon as it's submerged its probably dead within a couple weeks.

Resin Crystals? im lost you mean like dry cleaning solution?
This is what and how it happened
The day I did some investigation for contaminants in the wood, I found the "white powder" between cortex layers and thought ok ants business producing fungi (food). I have fruit trees and you would wonder what all are ants capable of.
Then I pressure-washed it. The wood looked clean.
The next day (very sunny) I continued striping the wood but could observe rests of the "white power" glittering in the sun. It had melted during the washing and remained there, transparent/invisible without sun light.
See the pictures, how it looked at the very begining, and melted the next day. I had to dust off my old camera for the close up views...
Thanks for your valuable time, and hope this to be of any help for cypress users :rolleyes:

Attachments

• cypress wood_12.JPG
    cypress wood_12.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 3
  • cypress wood_17.JPG
    cypress wood_17.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 3
  • cypress wood_18.JPG
    cypress wood_18.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 3
  • cypress wood_15.JPG
    cypress wood_15.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 3
  • cypress wood_16.JPG
    cypress wood_16.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I look at it as it's nature we don't see a white fungi on some fine looking piece of wood it's the same as string algae it's not visually appealing but it's just nature. I have been collecting cedar but if it doesn't have moss , or fungi ,or character it stays in the woods. Video coming this spring

Reaction score
Country
Peru
I look at it as it's nature we don't see a white fungi on some fine looking piece of wood it's the same as string algae it's not visually appealing but it's just nature. I have been collecting cedar but if it doesn't have moss , or fungi ,or character it stays in the woods. Video coming this spring
Yes, It doesn't look nasty. I have read that is this resin what makes cypress highly water resistant.
The peeling will take a couple of days...Then I will see if I put it in the pond or in the living room :giggle:
Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Hi All !
The cypress wood was finally launched yesterday and accomodated today. Meeting point for carp and shubunkin, is the plan, but I am sure it will take a while. The lower part is free and offers place for swimming freely.
The stripping took a lot of work, but I am happy with the final product :p, but I still had to put some additional weight on top because it slightly floats.
I will have to be watching if there is some stress to the fish.
Thanks for your kind and reassuring comments!

Attachments

• cypress wood_30.JPG
    cypress wood_30.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 9
  • cypress wood_05.JPG
    cypress wood_05.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 9
  • cypress wood_24.JPG
    cypress wood_24.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 9
  • cypress wood_26.JPG
    cypress wood_26.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looking good , in 6 months to a year you should be able to start removing some of the rocks. that will be a huge schooling area for the youngin's

Ask a Question