Cypress wood for my pond

Reaction score
I am in N FL. This is our Cypress Pond/Swamp. We have Pond Cypress which likes still water. They can grow in 10ft of water. Bald Cypress likes moving water. They are both excellent natural water filters. All that green on our pond/ swamp is floating duckweed ugggg! Although duckweed is another good water filter there is too much of it lol. Birds like egrets and herons nest up in the cypress. I am sure they are adding lots if nitrogen to the pond lol. Its a lot deeper than it looks. We have 2 other natural ponds in the property. One is very deep with no cypress and the other has some cypress as well.

20230503_072519.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Peru
I am in N FL. This is our Cypress Pond/Swamp. We have Pond Cypress which likes still water. They can grow in 10ft of water. Bald Cypress likes moving water. They are both excellent natural water filters. All that green on our pond/ swamp is floating duckweed ugggg! Although duckweed is another good water filter there is too much of it lol. Birds like egrets and herons nest up in the cypress. I am sure they are adding lots if nitrogen to the pond lol. Its a lot deeper than it looks. We have 2 other natural ponds in the property. One is very deep with no cypress and the other has some cypress as well.

View attachment 157199
Impresive pond forest! Very nice and peaceful looking
Yes, I've read cypress is absolutely water resistent, pond cypress much more. I have some old huge ones along a stream runing at the limit of the property. Some of them were cut at a height of 4 m long ago and is my source of wood for the fish pond now.
My concerns were about lots of resin rests found underneath the dry cortex and a potential water contamination, although resin is not soluble in water I didn't want to take risks. I am happy with it now, still keeping an eye on the water and fish behavior.
Very nice wood !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, I've read cypress is absolutely water
Most woods if completely submerged will last a very very long time. The colder the water the less oxygen the better. They are still pulling out OLD GROWTH logs from the great lakes after being at the bottom over a 100 years. And those can be pine ,oak really matters not.
But what cypress is so sought after is it will last a very long time as say a column holding up a pier half in the water half out. That's where it surpasses most other woods. Teak being a very similar species to cypress.

To answer the question how long untill algae covers it that depends on your water source . Is it loaded with chlorine. Are the no fish. Has it been a clowdy week with little sun and warmth.

Eventually everything in a pond will get covered in a bio film. New ponds generally don't even see it as the hair algae generally takes over untill your pond and yourself find the ballance. While I have seen here this year a lot of people have had string algae to deal with after the warm winter . I had very little maybe 3 inch long pockets here or there and on the waterfall but. After vacuuming the bottom of the pond cutting back any dead plants and adding some Nualgi and for the first time some BB the pond has come alive very quickly and even without the warmth and plant growth the pond looks great . The bio film is maybe. 1/2 inch on the rocks and thin.

With a new pond that is hard to answer where my pond is larger I didn't feel it was cycled for almost two years.
You'll probably get green water"peasoup" first that can last a day or months or even years depending on the bio load and your filtration mine was about two weeks. But then comes the hair algae and that stuff can disappear uickly or possibly never same story . What's in your water and how good is your filter and pond design.
To me over sizing the filter and I mean way over sizing is the biggest key to success. Better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Peru
Thanks for the clarification.
I think a biofilm/algae layer of 1/2" +/- here and there is a sign of healthy water, in all respect to cristal clear water and absolute algae absent ponds, of course.
On the other side, as commented before, I replenish and rotate water from a stream (see the picture attached) which is part of a natural reserve and therefore monitored regularly by the "water authorities". This water is pretty clear but containss 1-cell algae for sure, nevertheless, bacteria and parasite are a certain risk I will have to deal with.
My common carp, from the lake this stream feeds, should be "immune" but the newly added shubunkin uhm...I will have to keep an eye on them.
Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20230502_163043922.jpg
    IMG_20230502_163043922.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
Peru
looking good , in 6 months to a year you should be able to start removing some of the rocks. that will be a huge schooling area for the youngin's
More cypress wood in the pipe :). I am trying to be patient and cautious, sofar no problem with tha previous piece.

Ask a Question