Cypress wood for my pond

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Hi there !
I am preparing some cypress dead branches from my cypress hedge at the river and would very much like to hear about your experiences with this specific type of wood in fish pond. The branches look very solid and heavy and healthy.
Since about 6 weeks I've put 20 common carps (10 to 20 cm) from a lake of the neighborhood in the pond and want to provide them with shelter for solar radiation and more privacy ;), before I restore my floating plants.
These are the pictures of my pond and the branches.
Great thanks in advance !

cypress wood.JPG
cypress wood_01.JPG
cypress wood_02.JPG
common carp.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi there !
I am preparing some cypress dead branches from my cypress hedge at the river and would very much like to hear about your experiences with this specific type of wood in fish pond. The branches look very solid and heavy and healthy.
Since about 6 weeks I've put 20 common carps (10 to 20 cm) from a lake of the neighborhood in the pond and want to provide them with shelter for solar radiation and more privacy ;), before I restore my floating plants.
These are the pictures of my pond and the branches.
Great thanks in advance !

View attachment 156317View attachment 156318View attachment 156319View attachment 156320
Nice looking pond and tree salvages. Sorry tho I have never used Cypress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CYPRESS is Americas version of teak. It's pretty much the most durable exterior wood. Highly rot resistant and if kept constantly wet if will last a very long time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have looked at getting some cypress knees , unfortunately they can be very expensive when they are in a visually attractive configuration.

Reaction score
Country
Peru
I have looked at getting some cypress knees , unfortunately they can be very expensive when they are in a visually attractive configuration.
Hi GBBUDD,
Thanks for your comments about this wood. Additional concerns were about some possible ph change, but I do frecuently replenish evaporation water directly from the river and the pond ist +/- 12 m3, ?? :rolleyes:
I am planing to press-cleaning it, smooth all sharp edges and try to get some more friendly shape.
Thanks again!

Reaction score
Country
Peru
It is beautiful - do you plan to put ALL of it in the pond?
Hi Lisak1,
I have to prepare it, smooth edges and shape it, then I will try piece by piece looking at the reaction of the fish.
I am pretty sure they will like it and will be thankful for the shelter, privacy and children's play area :) !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi GBBUDD,
Thanks for your comments about this wood. Additional concerns were about some possible ph change, but I do frecuently replenish evaporation water directly from the river and the pond ist +/- 12 m3, ?? :rolleyes:
I am planing to press-cleaning it, smooth all sharp edges and try to get some more friendly shape.
Thanks again!
I CAN'T SAY FOR SURE IF THE PH WILL FLUCTUATE A LITTLE BUT THAT IS ALL IT WILL DO is a little at best i have cedar oak and god only knows what type of wood in my pond. no issues . you can see it in the link below but it is large blog

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@antonio boy are you lucky to have all the beautiful wood at your fingertips to use in and around your pond! Would love to see more pictures when you get a lot of it installed!

Reaction score
Country
Peru
I CAN'T SAY FOR SURE IF THE PH WILL FLUCTUATE A LITTLE BUT THAT IS ALL IT WILL DO is a little at best i have cedar oak and god only knows what type of wood in my pond. no issues . you can see it in the link below but it is large blog
Thanks, reasuring your opinion about the water quality regarding so many different woods you have in your pond, without any visible problems related to water parameters.
The great job displayed in the blog ist impressive, magic, and a great reference for all that one can imagine in a peaceful place.
Congrats!

Reaction score
Country
Peru
@antonio boy are you lucky to have all the beautiful wood at your fingertips to use in and around your pond! Would love to see more pictures when you get a lot of it installed!
Luck of beginner :happy:
I have temporarily placed the first lot of wood near the pond, for preparation, and that only makes a DIFFERENCE in its landscape.
For the installation in the pond I will have to control my self and do it step by step, mostly looking at the fish quality of life.
Paciencia Antonio!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I should add if you got those logs out of the water somewhere you may want to soak them and maybe a bath with proform c . This will kill off most parasites that maybe hitch hiking . So where your on your game watching out for even a ph spike then you may want to think about that . And I would double the dose as you have no fish to worry about.

Ask a Question